kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Re-dying bleach spot on shirt?

I think I've ruined my husband's (bright orange) shirt. I was wearing it this morning, and started a load of laundry that required a little bleach. There's now a tiny splatter mark from the bleach on the bottom part of the shirt. :( Is there any way I can buy some dye from the craft store and fix this horrible mistake? (please, please, please! :) ) I'm afraid the damage is permanant, and I'm going to have to fess up to ruining another of his shirts. Aughhhh.

Kelli
    Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you.
    Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life."
    -Maureen Hawkins

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Re-dying bleach spot on shirt?

Certainly you can try, but I've not seen great results on that.

First and foremost, rinse the spot with lots of running water, and then dunk it in some vinegar, for good measure. The color change isn't the only effect of the bleach that you have to fight here -- it will tend to break down the fibers, even over time.

Any chance the blip is near the hem? Maybe you could shorten the shirt a little?

Good luck!

Benet

starrynight Guest

I've done it and it's never worked well. Either it doesn't take or it leaves an obvious "spot" so you can see the shirt is a slightly different shade. Rit dye is awful, I've tried dylon dye to cover bleach and it didn't work. I used black dye.

That's a great idea but I don't think it'll work.

I ruined one of my favorite shirts with bleach. It really stinks. Could you buy DH another shirt to replace it?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdo...y+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 06-29-2011 at 11:28 PM.

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ack! No, I can't get another one. That was my first thought, too. It was a specialty shirt from OSU with his grad program on it. It was available only through their club, and I don't think they have any more. Now, I may be just making another mistake with this shirt, but because the spot is so little, I think I might take my new orange sharpie marker and touch up the spot, if the colors match well enough. :) We'll see...

Kelli
    Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you.
    Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life."
    -Maureen Hawkins