kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Transmitting virus to other kids aka can we go to music class

Considering my several posts in recent days regarding vomit, it should come as no surprise that DD has been sick. She vomited 6 times throughout the day on Tuesday. I took her to the pediatrician (b/c I'm a very worried first-time mommy) who confirmed that, yes, DD does have the virus that's going around that the nurse told me about when I first called that day. The ped said that she could get a fever and that diarrhea could follow.

DD has been vomit-free since Tuesday evening. She hasn't had a fever at all. Yesterday evening (Thursday) she had very loose stool at her normal pooping time. I don't know if the diarrhea is a symptom that means that the virus is still around, or if she's having that b/c of all of the vomiting and her stomach just isn't back to normal. DD's only other instance of diarrhea was when she was on antibiotics, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

So that's all the background. DD has been feeling great since Wednesday evening and was a bundle of energy yesterday. DD's music class is in a few hours and I need to figure out if we can go. (I called the ped's office to ask and the front desk person said that she's probably okay but couldn't/wouldn't pass me through to a nurse.) I really want to get out of the house with DD, but I don't want her to make anyone else sick. During the class, she stays with me and any instruments that go into any child's mouth are automatically separated from the rest. DD hasn't been putting any instruments into her mouth lately, though. Can we go? What do you think?

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Transmitting virus to other kids aka can we go to music class

Any my ds's school the rule is that children can return if they have not had a fever for 24 hours. I don't know who made the rule. ;)
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

I would think that as long as your DD has NO symptoms, and no thick green nose, that she is fine to go!
    Valerie
    Mom to DD (7/01), DS (3/03) and "brother" (7/08)

babymama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sounds like you should be fine. As long as no fever or diarrhea in the last 24 hours. DS's school defines diarrhea as 3 or more watery/loose stools within 24 hours. Your post sounds like she had only 1 watery diaper.

Last thing to check on....does she have any sort of runny nose? As long as what's coming out of her nose is clear and not yellow/green/or cloudy color - she isn't contangious.

Lydia
    Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
    One on the way, due 01/03/06

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm not sure if this (Rotabirus) is the virus that your ped's office was referring to, but it is contagious for a while after. here's a link (page two -you have to click to get to it- talks about contagiousness)...

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...rotavirus.html

Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No, no, no, no, no! It most definitely wasn't rotavirus. I'm positive that the ped would have said that and she didn't. DD's symptoms started with vomiting twice in the morning and then 4 more times in the late afternoon. She's not congested in any way - no runny nose of any color. Her breathing is completely fine. No fever at any point during the illness. The diarrhea was mentioned as a possibility with this, but she had one watery diaper on Thursday evening, but Wednesday's diapers were fine and today's was fine.

If I even suspected that she had rotavirus, I wouldn't even have had to ask my question! :) (Just the thought of rotavirus sends chills up my spine...)

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I probably wouldn't take her to the music class. Not because
    she is still contagious which I doubt that she is.
    But I would be afraid that her immune system might be down
    a little since she was so sick a few days ago and I would
    be scared that she would have a relapse.

What if one of the other children in class is slightly
    ill or has a sibling that is sick, then your child might
    catch the virus again in her weakened state?

Maybe I am being too nervous but I usually keep my child away
    from high-germ areas after a bad stomach bug!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie