Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I GOT TO HOLD HER!!!! (Natalie update)

Twice now! Two of the greatest days of my life. Monday eve we had a nurse whom we have had several times before, and I commented to her how hard it was not even being able to hold my daughter. So she replied, "Well, let's get her out so you can!" WHOHOO!!! I managed (SOMEHOW) not to cry while holding her, (I was afraid she would sense stress, even though they would obviously be tears of joy) but I did sob the entire way home afterwards. My husband was not there the first time, and the batteries in my camera died, so the only pics we have are polaroids the nurse took. But I got to hold her again this afternoon, and he was there so we got tons of pics. I will include some below, obviously! The first time I just held her in my arms, but today I actually got to "kangaroo" with her - hold her skin to skin. I can't decide which I liked better. Holding her cradle style in my arms was nice because I could see her face and she could see mine. Her eyes were wide open the entire time, and she seemed to be responding to me more than ever. But holding her skin to skin was great too....I could obviously keep her warmer that way, but I couldn't see her face, and I missed that. She seemed to like both. Both times, once we got her settled, her sats were nice and high and she was very calm and happy. I only got to actually hold her for about 15 minutes each time. They were a bit concerned about her temperature (the first time, despite being very bundled up, her hands got pretty cold), and also the prolonged stimulation. Although, she did not seem to mind :)

All in all, the docs seem pretty pleased with how she is progressing. She is tolerating the conventional ventilator very well, even though they had to go back up a bit on the pressures. Apparently they weaned her too fast over the weekend, and although she tolerated it initially, yesterday her sats kept dropping, and the doc felt she did much better with higher pressures to allow her lungs to stay open a bit longer. However, he did comment that her vent settings are really no different than any other 25 weeker born without all the lung problems she has had. Her renal function has been steadily improving, and she is SLOOOWLY gaining weight. Finally, at 23 days of life she was back at (even slightly above) her birth weight. They are supplimenting my EBM with some fortifier so that should help her gain faster. Because of her lungs and kidneys, they are restricting her fluids, so they don't want to advance her feeds to fast, even though she seems to be tolerating them quite well. We got an new attending again today but haven't met her yet, so it will be interesting to see what her take is. Last week's doc mentioned several times that he thinks the extent of her lung damage and hypoplastic nature was overestimated. He said he thinks most of her problem now is just prematurity, and that she can outgrow with time (assuming no other complications). However, I truely feel it is all of your prayers. Her first doctor (the one that was in the delivery room through the first 10 days, and the one that gave her 48 hours to live) is the director of the NICU with over 30 years of experience, so I know he knew what he was talking about. I can't wait for him to come back on service and see her now....I am curious to hear what he will say.

Anyways...as always thanks so much to all of you for your prayers, support, and encouragement. They mean the world to our family, and especially to Natalie. And THANKS AGAIN for the food! It is making a difficult situation ALOT easier...it is just one less thing I need to worry about, and that leaves me more time and energy to focus on Natalie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA120159.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA120149.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA110139.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA110129.jpg

Jera
    Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: I GOT TO HOLD HER!!!! (Natalie update)

Wow...I'm tearing up.
    So very happy you got to hold her.
    Keep fighting Natalie!
    Nicci

Ah, I am in tears now--what beautiful pictures, happy mama and baby :)

:)

COElizabeth Guest

What a wonderful update, Jera! I am so glad you are getting to hold Natalie now and that she is improving. What sweet pictures, too! I hadn't noticed in the earlier pictures how much pretty hair she has!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
    and Charlotte, 11-04-04

Oh Jera, that is so wonderful. I really started tearing up at the pictures. I am praying for continued improvement!

(((HUGS!!)))
    Mamma to a pretty little princess 3/06, a long awaited blessing 6/11, and a sweet surprise 11/13!

Those are the sweetest pictures ever! I'm so glad you got to hold her! More prayers coming your way!

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What wonderful news!!!! Wow, we could all take a lesson from little Natalie on what it means to be strong. Continued good thoughts headed your way!
    Susan
    mama to my cutie pie, Avery
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    We made it to a year!

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

what beautiful pictures! i'm so happy for you, that you finally got to hold natalie. you are always in our prayers.

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wonderful pictures! And I am so glad that she is doing well! I will keep your family in my prayers, Jera!

Jera,
    The miracle of your little girl leaves me absolutely speechless. She is GORGEOUS!!
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast