Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: How early do we need to be at the airport before flights now?

Thanks all! How much should we tip the skycaps?
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I usually do $2/bag or $5/3 bags, assuming that they aren't crazy heavy. If they are tickling the weight limit and the skycap looks the other way, I tip more ;).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Default We will be flying shortly too - some?????

I know these questions have been asked a million times, but I need some reassurances in my head, so please put up with my repetitive questions. :D

1) I booked our flight on line via Continental's website. I can go to the site 24 hours before my flight and print something out - but what the heck is it? Is it a ticket? a boarding pass?

2) If it is a ticket or a boarding pass, can I curbside check my bags? Do I need to stop at the ticket counter after that or can we just go down to the gate?

3) Gate checking strollers means that I can wheel the boys down the ramp to just where we get on the plane and fold up the strollers, right? Where do the strollers go - do the flight attendants take them into the cabin and put them in storage closets, or do they get taken away and stored below?

4) We are taking a stroller for each ds. I have a dark stroller bag for one stroller and a see through, plastic bag used to store outdoor cushions for the other (thanks for the tip from another board member). Now I am worried that they will think the stroller in the dark bag is golf clubs or something else, and send it to baggage claim. Am I over thinking this? Should I just put them in clear plastic bags so it is obvious that they are strollers and are needed as soon as we get off the plane?

5) What kind of ID do I need to show - I don't have any picture ID except a gym card and my university ID card (both long expired). I have a drivers license, but it doesn't have a photo. What kind of ID do we need for the boys?

6) Is it true that the kids shoes with light up things are a red flag in security? Another mom I know told me this.

Believe it or not, I used to travel for work all over the US and Europe, but that was before 9-11 and before children. Airtravel is a completely different world to me now! Sorry to hijack, but I there seems to be a lot of seasoned travelers here and I could really use your perspective. Thank you so much in advance for putting my mind at rest.

Danielle, Mom to Alex, 12.03.01 and Brian, 7.27.03

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: We will be flying shortly too - some?????

>1) I booked our flight on line via Continental's website. I
    >can go to the site 24 hours before my flight and print
    >something out - but what the heck is it? Is it a ticket? a
    >boarding pass?

You already bought your ticket when you booked your flight (and should have an e-ticket - usually an itinerary sent via e-mail - to prove it); this gives you a boarding pass. It is handy if you don't have bags to check, but IMO saves you no time if you are checking bags.

>2) If it is a ticket or a boarding pass, can I curbside check
    >my bags? Do I need to stop at the ticket counter after that
    >or can we just go down to the gate?

You can also get your boarding pass from curbside check-in (though make sure that Continental does it at the airports you are flying to and from; otherwise you have to stand in line at the ticket counter), so personally I'd just do the bags and boarding pass all at the same time, at curbside check-in. Once you have your bags checked and your boarding pass in hand, you go directly through security to the gate (and no need to check in at the gate either, except to get your stroller gate-check tags).

>3) Gate checking strollers means that I can wheel the boys
    >down the ramp to just where we get on the plane and fold up
    >the strollers, right? Where do the strollers go - do the
    >flight attendants take them into the cabin and put them in
    >storage closets, or do they get taken away and stored below?

Generally, yes. American flying out of O'Hare has always asked us to hand over the stroller before stepping on to the jetway, but every other airline has allowed us to bring the stroller to the door of the plane. You fold it, and the baggage crew takes it and puts it in the belly of the plane (not in the cabin - closets are way too small when they even exist). They'll give you a special tag for it at the gate that indicates that it should be returned to the door of the plane at your destination, although I've heard that sometimes they miss the tag when it isn't obviously a stroller (like when it is in a dark bag).

>4) We are taking a stroller for each ds. I have a dark
    >stroller bag for one stroller and a see through, plastic bag
    >used to store outdoor cushions for the other (thanks for the
    >tip from another board member). Now I am worried that they
    >will think the stroller in the dark bag is golf clubs or
    >something else, and send it to baggage claim. Am I over
    >thinking this? Should I just put them in clear plastic bags
    >so it is obvious that they are strollers and are needed as
    >soon as we get off the plane?

I've only used a clear plastic bag or no bag. On future trips, we'll use a clear plastic bag.

>5) What kind of ID do I need to show - I don't have any
    >picture ID except a gym card and my university ID card (both
    >long expired). I have a drivers license, but it doesn't have
    >a photo. What kind of ID do we need for the boys?

This info is all on Continental's site:

http://www.continental.com/travel/po...id/default.asp

>6) Is it true that the kids shoes with light up things are a
    >red flag in security? Another mom I know told me this.

I've never had a problem with them, but always remove them and put them through the x-ray machine. They will set off the metal detector, so should not be left on (in fact, we all take off our shoes when we go through security to move things along faster).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just wanted to add that flying out of Lauderdale can be a worse nightmare than O'Hare if you're leaving at the same time as an entire cruise ship worth of people!

Not sure you can predict that in advance, but it can either be a breeze or a nightmare. I'd say the nightmare is less common, but I haven't flown out of there that many times (3 or 4?). The one time the cruise ship crowd was there, they were actually pulling people out of the security line for flights -- the line was over an hour long! And they apologized, saying that they would be remodeling soon to fix the congestion.

Actually, it was a couple of years ago, so maybe it is remodeled and cleared up? Anyone fly out of there recently?
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we fly out on xmas. i HOPE it's ok then! :)
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

Default RE: We will be flying shortly too - some?????

>>1) I booked our flight on line via Continental's website.
    >I
    >>can go to the site 24 hours before my flight and print
    >>something out - but what the heck is it? Is it a ticket? a
    >>boarding pass?
    >
    >You already bought your ticket when you booked your flight
    >(and should have an e-ticket - usually an itinerary sent via
    >e-mail - to prove it); this gives you a boarding pass. It is
    >handy if you don't have bags to check, but IMO saves you no
    >time if you are checking bags.
    >

Even if you're checking bags, I would strongly suggest checking in online the day before, if possible. No, it won't save any time in the bag-checking process (you'll basically have to re-check in). However, if the flight is full/oversold, you want to have your seat assignment confirmed as soon as possible. Also, in certain oversold situations, when the airline can't find enough volunteers to give up their seats, time of check in may be used to involuntarily deny boarding. That is, whoever checked in last will be the first bumped. Very rare, but a nightmare if it happens to you, and totally avoidable by checking in the day prior.

-Ry,
    mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
    and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img]

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default We flew out of Ft Lauderdale and it was fine

We came back on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and my parents came back on the Monday after Thanksgiving. It was very manageable. My husband even had time to go through security twice! Had to go back to mail the scissors that he told me he packed in the suitcase but were actually in the carry-on bag!

They have remodeled it recently.

At O'Hare, it depends on what day and what time of day. If you are flying morning or evening (especially Monday AM and Thursday PM), I'd get there about 1 1/2 hours early just because security is so bad. Otherwise, an hour is probably plenty of time!

One hint ... if security is really bad in Terminal 1 or 3 at O'Hare, walk over to Terminal 2. Security is usually a breeze there! All of the terminals are connected once you get through security (if you don't mind a bit of a walk!)
    Sarah

DD1 5/05 Evenflo HBB
    DD2 4/07 FF Britax Roundabout
    DD3 4/07 FF Safety 1st Uptown
    DD4 6/10 RF Britax RA50

Ari Guest

I think it's an hour ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast