hautemama15 Guest

Default offshoot of the SUV thread below

i saw alot of reference to hybrid models in this thread. I have read lots of reports and seen news reports of hybrids not really saving you much $$ in the long run since they are more expensive initially. Tell me personal experiences with the hubrid models, I would love to know from people who actually own them!

We are getting a Honda Odyssey next year and it has that feature where it shuts down cylinders on the highway to save gas and get better mileage. Anyone have an Odyssey from 2005 or 2006 that has this feature?? I am curious.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: offshoot of the SUV thread below

You are right. The initial purchase price does offset much of the gas savings. But I don't think it is all about saving $$$ so I very much want to buy a hybrid the next car I get (not going to be anytime soon- my Corolla just keeps going and going)

Hybrids are just a bridge to using less gas. Oil is finite and as a world resource will be gone at some point. All pretty much agree on this although there is clearly a lot of dissent over how much we have left. Some say this will happen very soon (withing 20-50 years) while others think we have hundreds of years left. I think that people that buy hybrids are doing this for the gas/oil savings and not for $$ savings. Judging from the parking lot at my county Democratic meetings, I think some folks drive hybrids so they can seem cool in these circles. Not a bad thing (I can't dis it since I hope that my next car will be a Hybrid- still driving a 1998 Corolla!) but it is a factor.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

>I think that people that buy hybrids
    >are doing this for the gas/oil savings and not for $$ savings.

This is the case for us. Our concern isn't about $$ savings at all - our concern is the environment. Personally, I feel that driving a gas guzzler is socially irresponsible. I understand that some people have a serious need for a big SUV or a suburban (work, off-roading, big family, lots of road trips, etc.), but I think many people could do without - it's just a status thing, and not a bona fide need.

Katie - my 1988 Toyota Corolla was the best car in the world. I miss it so much!

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree with Tara. For instance, my step FIL drives a GMC envoy. Why? Because he needs it to drive to the golf course? Big eye roll here. Some people really need it. But many don't.
    As I posted in the other thread, it is important to do the research. Hybrid SUVs are still SUVs. Take a look at the Money magazine from OCt. or November (I forget which- check your library)- and read up a bit.
    There are also some great articles on the Dollar STretcher (www.stretcher.com) and bankrate.com that help you do the math. For instance, we were considering a Prius last year. WE did the math- with the help of these articles- and figured out that we would have to own it for a long time to break even. (The articles take into account all factors: rising gas prices, insurance, etc). Hopefully, by then I would like to have a larger family and need something else.
    hybrids are great alternatives, but they are not the final answer, ykwim?

tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12