Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mommy_Again is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default what is the longest lasting, most durable, reliable SUV out there?

DH puts major miles on his car for work- like 50k+ a year. He has a Yukon now, loves the size, but it seems lately we're shelling out $1000 every other month to fix it. He's toying with getting something new. We need a Yukon/Tahoe sized SUV that can handle a lot of miles and give us very few maintenance problems. We've heard a lot of good things about Toyotas...anyone have suggestions?
    DS 2003
    DD1 2009
    DD2 2011

hautemama15 Guest

Default RE: what is the longest lasting, most durable, reliable SUV out there?

Don't know if the Honda Pilot is big enough but I have heard nothing but raves about this SUV. I have also heard alot of good about Toyota Sequoia too. The only problem with the Sequoia is it is a gas guzzler! Most SUVs are though. Maybe a 4Runner would fit the bill?? They are very nice! A little smaller than a Sequoia, but still lots of room. With regular maintenence both the Pilot and the Sequoia are known to last! I know someone with a Sequoia and she loves everything about it except the amount of gas it uses. I also know someone with a Pilot and she loves it also, even the gas doesn't bother her.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think Toyota is coming out with a hybrid Highlander. Don't know if that is big enough for his needs, but it would certainly save on gas!

I love my Honda CR-V. I have only had to do routine maintence. Nothing major has gone wrong. I know alot of people love their Pilots also. I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda or a Toyota.

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
    BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
    (Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The only Tahoe/Yukon sized SUV's out there that aren't a Tahoe or Yukon or Ford Expedition is the Toyota Sequoia or Land Cruiser, Nissan Armada, Lexus 470 or Infiniti Q-whateveritis - as far as I know.

I don't know much about any of them but as far as reliability goes - I'd imaging a Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Lexus or Infiniti is going to be better than a domestic.

Odd to read you're having issues with your Yukon - mine's a 2003 XL and I've really not had any issues with it so far.

Supposedly Acura is redesigning the MDX for 2007 and it's going to be a bit larger etc - may be worth checking into if the new style is big enough.
    ~Bill

wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We're toying with the idea of the hybrid Highlander, because we will eventually need the 3rd row of seats and we don't want an SUV unless it is a hybrid. $38k is base, though - which just seems like so much money for a car!

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my certified pre-owned Lexus RX 300. It's a 2001 that I got in 2004 for 27K. That included a 5 year warranty (so basically the same warranty as if I ahd bought it new for a LOT less $). It's made by Toyota, but more luxurious than a Highlander (which I also test drove). It takes regular gas which is a big plus in a luxury car.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Honda has a good reputation. Our CR-V has over 100,000 miles and has never needed anything more than a few minor maintenance fixes.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a 2002 Toyota 4-Runner and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm on my 3rd Toyota (Corolla, then a Camry, and now the 4-runner). I wasn't the best car owner and didn't do the scheduled maintenance when I was a poor college and graduate student. Still, I never had any significant issues. I basically just did oil changes and had to replace a tire here and there. I'm sure I had *something* on one of them but it escapes me now.

Jamelin
    DD Susanna 6/29/04

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

we have a 2001 Dodge Durango and it has been fabulous! The only time it has been back to the dealer was for a recall repair! we like it so much that we will probably be getting another Durango when we are ready to get something new! The newer model is bigger and from what I understand they have a nice feature that shuts down 4 of the 8 cylinders when you are driving in the city so it saves gas!!!! That and the built in DVD feature is a selling point for us! LOL

Good Luck... HTH's you!

~Tondi

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a 2000 Durango and I totally agree with you. The only problem we've ever had was the fuse went on the auxillary power plugs, so they didn't work for a while. Took about 15 minutes at the dealership (under warranty) to fix. No other problems. I totally LOVE this car, and will probably (99% sure) be getting another when this one dies.

Sarah
    Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast