cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default HELP: anything I can do so his cold doesn't get worse???

Diego has a cold. He woke up with a low grade fever after his nap on Monday. The fever subsided within an hour. He also started w/ a slight phlegmy cough which has gotten worse. He did not nap yesterday b/c of his cough. Last nite he coughed in his sleep for about 1 hour. He then was cough free for the majority of the nite. He woke up with a runny nose and is asking me to clean his nose about every 5 minutes. He also has had looser bm's for the last few days. I read the recs for coughs/colds on ask. dr sears .com I am making sure he drinks lots of water, his head was elevated last nite....what else can I do? I know I need to let it run its course but I am afraid of his cold getting worse....why am I stressed out I go in for my c/s on Tuesday! Usually when D gets a cold....his worst symptom is his cough....that can linger for up to month....we usually have to go on antibiotics to clear that up.

I have not put up the cool mist humidifier in his room b/c he is in the big boy bed and I am afraid he will get up and mess with it. I am going to do the warm shower trick in a bit.Also, should I use vapor rub? My ped recommends no cough meds during the day so that he can cough it up. And at nite he only recommends it if the child is not sleeping. But for the most part I think he slept well last nite.....

Any advice??? TIA!!!

Oh, and to make me more paranoid....one of his classmates had pneumonia recently and our neighbor across the street has an infant with rsv/pneumonia and a 3 y.o. w/ an ear infection and upper resp. infection. Diego did spend some time playing over there last week.

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: HELP: anything I can do so his cold doesn't get worse???

Crappy timing!

What about the plug-in dealies? THey make a children's version, and it smells like mint instead of menthol. (at least it does to me!) We put one in DD's room last night, and she slept for about 6 or 7 hours without coughing.

Good luck!
    Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
    Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!