Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JFC is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Please help me find a great engagement gift...

...my little brother *finally* asked his girlfriend to get married! I'm beside myself I'm so excited...we all love her and they have been together for about 6 years, so we are thrilled he finally asked! I want to get them something special, but am at a loss.

They are in their 20's live in NYC, but are moving back to Boston in a few months, very young, city-hip in style. The best I've come up with is sending her Philosphy's Here Comes the Bride set now and then waiting a bit to send them something they'd like for their new home.

That said, I think you all come with some fantastic, creative gift ideas...if you have any I'd love them! TIA!
    ~Jess
    SAHM to DS1 7/03 and DS2 3/07

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Please help me find a great engagement gift...

What about Bridal Bargains?!?!?! ;)

Or some nice wine glasses and a nice bottle of wine.

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
    BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
    (Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I vote for the Bridal Bargains Book (by the Fields!)

If they are planning to have a wedding it is a great book for a common sense approach. I got one when I was married the first time. I gave it to my friend when she got married. She had kids first, so she got the Baby Bargains book when she had kids. When she found out she I was pregnant with Harvey, she bought me a copy, and look where I am now!

Keep it in the family! And oh, yeah, definately Philosophy. I just got the Hot Chocolate/Eggnog/Apple Cider pack for Christmas. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy.

Jeanne
    Mom to Harvey
    1/16/03

fredsmom Guest

I love giving a copy of the movie, The Princess Bride, either as part of a shower or an engagement gift basket.

What about a gift certificate for dinner and a night at a romantic inn? If they are going to be travelling a lot in the next few months between NYC and Boston I can give you a few recs for ones in Connecticut. My best friend gave me something similar for an engagement gift and it was great to get away during all the wedding planning...

Thank you for the great ideas! I CAN'T believe I spaced out on Bridal Bargains (that is what led me to Baby Bargains afterall!). I knew I could count on you all! Thanks!
    ~Jess

If it is not too much trouble, I'd love a few recommendations for inns in CT...especially given that during their transition from NYC to Boston, my brother will be living with her sister and boyfriend in Boston and she will be staying with friends in NY - I love the idea of giving them a chance to be alone together (my favoriate oxymoron!). Thanks!
    ~Jess

My favorite engagement gift we received was a *very* nice pair of champagne flutes and a bottle of bubbly.

Congrats! Have fun shopping!

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060325/3/15/5/-6/.png

depending on where in CT they want to go, here are a few recs...
    Westport, CT, right off interstate 95, about 1.5 hrs from NYC, Inn At National Hall innatnationalhall.com.
    Essex, CT, also off 95, about 2.5 hrs from NYC, Griswold Inn griswoldinn.com
    Newtown, CT, off interstate 84 about 1.5 hrs from NYC (this is the way we go to/from NYC/Boston to avoid traffic on 95) The Dana Holcombe House danaholcombehouse.com. or The Inn At Newtown, theinnatnewtown.com
    If I think of any others I'll let you know!

laurel Guest

Defnitely check out the website www.redenvelope.com too. Unbelievably lovely, unique gifts, I think. We received a baby handprint set from there that was gorgeous, and they have gifts for every occasion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast