Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What are some REGIONAL SLANG-Words/Phrases that are common in your area??

I'm from Ohio and now live in Texas. I always get a weird
    look from Southern people when I ask for a 'pop'. What?

I also still say 'you guys' from my years in Ohio. Sometimes,
    I'll toss in a 'ya'll' just to mix it up! :)

And my favorite would be the term, 'mugging down'. This would
    be when you have a hot and heavy kissing session.

Used in a sentence:
    "Wow! They were seriously mugging down on the couch and then
    their kids walked in!"

Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: What are some REGIONAL SLANG-Words/Phrases that are common in your area??

We drink pop around here (though we're bordering on soda country). My grandma drinks pop in Michigan, too :)

I have no idea what's regional 'cause other than a couple summers, I've lived my whole life in this state.

Now, ask me about my conversation with a German coworker last month, and how I explained what 'out of left field' meant (similarly, 'in the ballpark' and the associated 'in the parking lot outside the ballpark' and 'across the river from the ballpark' which can only be used in certain cities) ;) That was fun!
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: What are some REGIONAL SLANG-Words/Phrases that are common in your area??

I am in Canada, so we have a few:

Pop instead of soda
    Washroom instead of restroom or bathroom
    Zed instead of Zee (the last letter of the alphabet ;))
    Tuque is a popular expression for a winter hat
    My personal fave - double double is a coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars at our big coffee/donut shop Tim Hortons

And of course, the ever popular, "Eh" (not that I use it all that much - I am an embarassment to Canucks everywhere, LOL).

Here are a few other unique Canadian-isms:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_slang
    I had NO idea how many there were! I don't even use half of them.

Also, we tend to spell things with an 'ou' instead of an 'o' - i.e. colour, favour, neighbour, etc.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Along the pop vs soda lines, here's a cool map that shows how the term is divided based on geographic location:

http://www.popvssoda.com/

I live in soda country, but I think the big "Coke" region down South is interesting!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Apparently, Virginians say "y'all" for singular and "all y'all" for plural when referring to people in the direct person. For example, "Y'all take care now. I mean it, all y'all."

I also say "you guys" ALL THE TIME (I spent 10 years in NJ), but not "yous guys" like my family from Philly does.

We say soda, but sometimes we say "sodey pop" when we're talking about it in general, but when ordering, most people will say "I'll have a Mountain Dew" or "I'll have a Diet Coke." And when we order "tea," that's not hot tea, it's iced tea.

If we're in the process of doing something or going somewhere, we say "fixin' to," as in "I'm fixin' ta go to the store, want anything?"

We also say "over to," as in "I'm heading over to the library." I hear other regions say it differently.

"Where you at?" is everywhere. It's literally the first thing everyone says when they answer the phone around here.

Occassionally we'll say "down yonder," "britches"...my DH calls me "sugar britches," and everybody is "honey." My mom, a realtor, calls all her clients "honey." And almost everyone say's "ma'am" and "sir." Southern Hospitality.....love it!

And my favorite..."Well Bless Your Heart!" It can mean everything from real sympathy, to mocking, to a polite F-you!

ETA: here's a great website with some southern regionalisms
    http://www.ashlandbelle.com/Southern.html

After looking at the list, we definitely use the following here:
    do-hicky: a "whatchamacallit" thing you can't put a name to (as in "Honey, where's that do-hicky you use to unclog the toilet?")

shindig: a party or event we're not too excited about (as in "Nope, can't go, wife says we have to go to some shindig Saturday night.")

a falling out: old argument (as in "Jim & I had a falling out")

sorry: worthless (as in "You're sorry, lying sack of crap!"), and

reckon: suppose (as in "I reckon you're gonna want that back.")

Larissa
    ***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
    -James Baldwin

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I live in CT, where we have "tag sales" and "cook outs."

I grew up on Long Island, where we had "garage sales" and "bbqs."

I live on the Gulf Coast and I rarely hear pop or soda. I've also never heard anyone call a Sprite a Coke. We go by brand name.

We have pancakes and not flapjacks.
    We have subs and not grinders or hoagies.
    Children still say yes ma'am and yes sir. Adults still use these terms for their own older family members and the elderly.
    We have huggers and not koozies.

Here is some slang used by some teenagers, but not adults. I imagine most of these are not regional:
    grill means teeth

get crunked means get pepped up or get going

hot mess means bad

freak means promiscuous

hook up usually means date or make out and sometimes but not always have sex

folk means friend as in "Waddup,Folk" http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/ima...s/rolleyes.gif

marijuana is called blunt or drawer (said like "draw"). That last one comes from the phrase "top drawer" and means really strong weed.

The only way I know these things is because I taught teenagers for eleven years. I'm sure I could think of more.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Army currently has us stationed in El Paso (I'm from NJ "you guys") and the one that drives me crazy here is that they say "right now." Sounds fine, right? Well, "right now" could mean immediately (as I had irrationally thought) or it could mean within the next day or so.

We were also in central TX for awhile at Fort Hood. Texas like to say "y'all" and "fixin to". They also always order a "coke." When you want a "coke", you could mean Pepsi, diet Coke, etc. It's all a coke.

Laura :)

Liam (10/04)

Default Laura!

Hey Laura! My father is stationed with the Army in El Paso as well! He's the Garrison Chaplain at Ft. Bliss (in charge of the MPs and pastor of Sage Hall). What unit & batallion is your DH in (my father said you might be under his watch)? Is he ADA? I know a lot of servicemembers go to Bliss to deploy to Iraq. I hope such is not the case for you.

Just curious. Feel free to PM or email me w/ the info if you don't want it on the boards. My DH (who's Navy) and I spent a couple weeks out in El Paso visiting my family, so I know the area decently well. Kind of cool to see another El Paso transplant on the boards.

Larissa
    ***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
    -James Baldwin

I'm from Pittsburgh so heres a few just off the top of my head,
    we sad "pop" not soda
    we eat "hoagies" not grinders or subs
    we say "yunz" for you all
    we use "gum bands" for rubber bands ( I have no idea where that came from)
    some people say "worsh cloths" instead of "wash cloth" although I despise when people say it that way.
    some people say "crick" instead of creek another one that drives me insane.
    I'm sure I'll think of more and post later.
    Some of our Steeler fans around here say "Go Stillers" Thats when you know your a True Pittsburgher LOL...

Heidi
    Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast