Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smallestangel Guest

Default RE: Pain in upper inner thigh during pregnancy - is this common?

Oh boy, I had that pain when I was pg. I always said it felt like I was saddle sore. Like I had been riding a mule on a rocky trail for days!

I have no idea what it is. My OB at the time just brushed it off as normal pg aches and pains. But it hurt! So I feel for you and am so sorry you're having it. It wouldn't hurt to ask your doc about it at your next appointment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But just wanted to say something since I've BTDT.

Amanda

bensmom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'm 33 weeks at the moment with #2 and my "medical issues" have been completely different this time from the first time. I had a lot of back pain and leg pain this time (from my hip to the back of my knee). My OB ended up sending me to a physical therapist and it helped me a lot. She's shown me a few stretches and strength exercises, and has helped with some tricks to try to help the pain.

I can't remember what my problem was called, but I think it's worth calling your OB/midwife and about it and possibly looking into PT (the therapist she sent me too works with pregnant women a lot) - in my mind, PT is noninvasive and can't hurt. For me, it really helped a lot. My insurance covered most of the therapy too.

Feel better.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Obviously it is impossible to diagnose someone online, but the first thing that came to mind was a symphysis pubis dysfunction. I would talk to your OB/midwife and ask for a referral for physical therapy. Look for someone who has experience/training in dealing w/ pregnancy related issues.

HTH.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Upper inner thigh pain has been my biggest pregnancy complaint. I also did an online search and found the Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction information. I talked to my midwife about it, but her response was that unless it was immobilizing me that it was just one of those things I'd have to deal with.

I think it's gotten better in the last couple weeks (either that or other late pregnancy discomforts have masked it!).

I would definitely check in with your OB/midwife. I think the PT the other posters mentioned would have helped a lot.

Good luck!

Jodi

juliasmom05 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had that horrible pain as well. Getting out of bed, putting on pants, and walking were absolutely excruciating. My midwife wrote it off as normal pregnancy pain, but I thought it sounded more like Symphisis Pubis Dysunction from what I read. Although I wish I had, I never went to see anyone who specializes in it, and was never ever able to get relief from it until after delivery. If your OB/midwife dismisses it as normal pregnancy pain, I would try to find someone who specifically deals with this. I hope you find some relief.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

Holy cripes! I just read the description of this and I'm sure I had it when I was pregnant. And...I ended up having a c-section because Carrie was facing the wrong way. I am totally going to pursue this the next time, because I kept complaining about it and my OB brushed me off. I wonder if she had taken me more seriously if I could have avoided that c-section.

To the OP: it was worst for me getting in and out of the car, and I had to sleep with a body pillow to be able to get out of bed in the morning.

Sarah :)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

I had something similar in my pregnancy, but I self-diagnosed it as round ligament pain. For the longest time I thought I'd sprained my groin muscles! It went away after delivery.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

amp Guest

Yep, I had that pain...with both pg's! Hated it! But it went away after having the baby. Hang in there!

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I'm sorry you're dealing with this! It can be SO painful. I had it with both PGs, but it was definitely worse the second time. My OB pretty much blew it off, but a high-risk OB I had to see for another problem confirmed that it was probably SPD. Unfortunately, there's not much medically that can be done until after you give birth.

I found that the pain was better if I was very conscious of my movement patterns... like always sitting on the bed to put my pants on, and keeping my knees together when I turned over in bed. Also, lots and lots of rest was helpful. I was kind of panicked at the idea of labor with the degree of pain I was in, but mercifully mine faded over the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

Hang in there, and good luck!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've had a lot of similar pain in both pregnancies, and thought that I just had to deal with it (that's what my ob told me too, last time) - then I found a solution this time around when it cropped up by 12 weeks!

First of all, I see a chiropractor every few weeks. It is amazing how much better I feel with those visits.

Second of all, I put an absolute limit on the amount of weight I lift. Through trial and error, I found that my limit was about 12-15lbs. Yep, that means no lifting DS from the ground (though I have found that if he climbs on the couch or a bed, and I hug him to me, I can carry him a little bit). The more lifting I try to do, the worse it is.

HTH!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast