Default Experience decorating cookies with royal icing?

I want to hand out iced cookies as part of our birthday goody bags and am considering doing this myself. Does anyone have experience using royal icing? Is this something a first-timer could do easily or should I trust this to a professional? Thanks!

juliasmom05 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Experience decorating cookies with royal icing?

I've decorated cookies with royal icing a couple of times. I think that it is definitely something that a first-timer can do. I just put the icing in ziploc or plastic bags and cut the tip off to use to ice the cookies. It's easier if you pipe a border around the edge of the cookie with the icing first and then you add more icing to the center and smooth out with a spatula. The border prevents the icing from going everywhere and allows you to use multiple colors if you want.

Good luck and have fun

ETA: I use the powdered egg whites or meringue instead of real egg whites and it works great.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

Default RE: Experience decorating cookies with royal icing?

You can do it but be warned that if you are doing a lot of cookies, it gets tedious. Instead of royal icing, I used glace icing (recipe here: http://www.baking911.com/recipes/coo...cing_glace.htm ). I think the glace icing tastes better but it does take longer to dry.