Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Alright BFing gals...need some help for a friend.

Her doctor, who I dislike, said the baby will be taken immediately after her c-section and brought to the nursery while she recovers and won't come back until she can feel her legs. He said they wouldn't feed the baby (we've all head that one) and would probably "only" be a couple of hours. She would like to nurse right awayand is very unhappy about this...needless to say...but is not much of an advocate for herself. So, I need some links to send to her (she said she would love them) so she can print it out for her doctor and feel more empowered. Who better to ask than you gals?

TIA!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Alright BFing gals...need some help for a friend.

Well, they CAN'T take her baby unless her and her husband consent, no? I just would not consent. I did not feel my legs for almost a day after my c-section. Not seeing Toby for 24 hours would have been OUT of the question. He was in the NICU but I was there in my wheelchair.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

mommyoftwo Guest

I can't point you to any links, but that's rediculous. I had to have a c-section with Linnea because she was breech and was bf within minutes of being in recovery. I started nursing as soon as they had taken care of getting me situated. I can't imagine why she would need to wait. My nurse in recovery was wonderful about helping me. Maybe the nurse would be a good advocate? Linnea wasn't taken to the nursery until I was in a room and they needed to check her over (hours later). Then they brought her right back. I hope she can convince her doctor to let her stay with the baby.

kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

FWIW, I wasn't groggy or having to be horizontal after my scheduled section. I nursed the twins right away and often!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/con...c-section.html

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I ended up having a c-section (DD decided to come out ear first, of all things...) and as soon as I was in recovery the nurse brought her to me and helped me BF for the first time. I was fairly out of it so they took the baby to the nursery after that, but I was able to BF her immediately upon arriving in recovery, just like a PP said. I would ask prior to the c-section starting - make sure they are all aware that your friend wants to BF right away. Shouldn't be a problem.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

I agree with the PPs, that is absurd. Since they have to consent to baby being taken from their sight, they need to just say no. My c/s wasn't scheduled, I went in to PTL and DS was frank breech, but when they asked me if there was anything that I wanted, I made it clear that I wanted DS to stay with me unless it was medically necesary and they were more than happy to oblige. Unfortunately he had breathing problems and had to go to the NICU so that didn't happen. The delivery nurses said I could go see him within a couple of hours, but the post partum nurses on duty that day were overworked and obnoxious and I didn't get to see DS for almost 8 hours. I am still angry at myself for not being a better advocate for myself.

FWIW, I could feel my legs about an hour after my CS was over.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's odd. My doc was too busy performing her next section, or returning to her packed office practice, or delivering a vaginal to know what happened to me or my babies post-surgery. :)

With both of my sections, the baby was in daddy's arms immediately. He didn't let go until HE put them into my arms in recovery maybe 30 min to an hour later. My doc was LOOOONG gone by this point, I was totally in the care of the nurses and maybe the "drug doc" (can't spell that one). The nurse immediately helped me to breastfeed, it was wonderful. I couldn't yet feel my legs, but the nurse and DH helped me to sit up. Baby staying in the nursery was totally optional, and upon our request alone. They weren't whisked away.

She should call the nurses that do the hospital visits. Have THEM go through the procedure check-in to recovery with her. I wonder if he really knows what happens after he leaves! If this is the way the hospital operates, then they need to catch up with the rest of the world.

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That sounds nutty to me! I had a c/s with DS and he was brought to the nursery (DH went with him) while they finished sewing me up, after I was able to see him and touch him. He needed super-suctioning and had to have his heel pricked to test sugar levels since he was very large. It took something like an hour (what seemed like an eternity to me) for them to meet up with me in the recovery room, but I started nursing him right there, before I could feel my legs. I was really worried while they were gone, but at the same time, I am glad DH didn't leave DS to come fill me in. I wanted DS in (at least one of) our sight.

I haven't looked, but I imagine that kellymom and the La Leche web site would probably have some good information.

Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03
    DD is scheduled to arrive via c/s on March 21! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

nd93 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Well, she should get this straightened out with her doctor because this does sound ridiculous, but she should also check with her HOSPITAL on what their policy is. Have her put in writing what she wants done (like a birth plan), have her or her DH tell every nurse they see when they get there. Most hospitals nowadays have babies room in, it's unusual to have babies sent to a nursery if delivery is routine. Does her hospital have lactation consultants on staff? They would also be someone to talk to ahead of time. Tell them what her OB said, see if they can help.

Good luck. Please keep us posted, this is wacky IMO.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Wow. Payton was in my arms as they wheeled my bed out of the OR-- basically the second I was done being sewn up. I thought they were crazy for giving him to me to hold so soon ;) but I gotta tell you, it was absolutely wonderful. I nursed him once before we called my mom and girlfriend down to recovery to meet him.

You've already got the kellymom link-- that's what I'd have searched out, too.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast