Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nofeea is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Anyone know of a great Toddler Clock?

We'd like to buy DD her own clock for her room (in the hopes that she'll get the hang of waiting until a reasonable time to wake everyone up!) At almost 3 1/2 she can't tell time yet and I was going to get her a digital clock so that she just has to look at the first number (ie.-"If it doesn't say '7' STAY IN BED!) DH wants her to have an analog clock so that she gets a concept of'getting close to a target time'-(ie. "the hand is almost on the 8, so it's bedtime")

I guess a clock with both types of readout would be ideal but I haven't found any good ones. (Not just a teaching clock... it has to work!) Anyone have any favorites?

Thanks.

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone know of a great Toddler Clock?

I was just coming to post about this :) We're having the same issue with our 3 1/2 year old DD and would love suggestions. I'm looking for an analog clock that is cute and fun
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Sleepytime Bunny Clock...from England!!

I would love this clock for my daughter! Just don't
    want to pay the crazy shipping cost from England.

www.bunnyclock.com

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32680.jpg
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Sleepytime Bunny Clock...from England!!

Corie

I love this clock and have relatives coming over, do you know if it ticks though, I bought DD a cute battery operated clock with a bearly audible tick, but she made me take it out of her room as she could hear it (since then DH made me take it out of our bedroom as he could hear it so i know where she gets it from!)
    I'm now the only faculty in the medical school with a cow clock in their office.

Lucy DD 3/03

Someone posted about a new magazine around here that had a clock you can buy that helps children (that are young) tell time. It has a series of hand-painted animals for numbers and a hummingbird (second hand), turtle (hour hand) and squirrel maybe (minute hand) so you can say to a child, "When the turtle touches the fox, you can start to wake everyone up." or "When the squirrel reaches the bear, you can come out from time out." I thought it was sooo cute, and if you don't want to buy the ready-made one, you can download the beautifully painted time face in Adobe Acrobat Reader and print it out and assemble a clock for it yourself! I plan to assemble one for a friend of mine whose son is turning two this May.
    http://wondertime.go.com/clock/

Anyways, if you want to have one with real numbers, I fell in love with the Rhythm Small World clocks I saw at Bellini. My favorite is Carnivale (love the little tunes it plays on the hour). It even has a light sensor so it won't play tunes at night unless you manually turn it on. JCPenny frequently has it on sale for $100. (50% off)http://courtneyscandles.com/carnival.html
    Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
    ~Elizabeth Stone

I have a Looney Tunes clock and it works great with dd.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LOONEY-TUNES-WAL...QQcmdZViewItem

She knows she has to be finished eating by the time the big hand is on Marvin etc. It also has #s so we discuss which numbers go with which animal. It is bright and fun!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

This is not so helpful because I can't remember where exactly I saw this clock but at the time i thought it was a great idea. I saw it in a magazine or the website of a magazine. It showed this clock and had a download if you wanted to make it yourself or the name of a website where you could buy it. See, not so helpful so far.

The clock was a analog one that you would hang on a wall. Each hand of the clock had an animal on the end of it. Like a snail for the hour hand, a bird for the minute hand, and a bee for the second hand, each animal giving an idea of the relative speed that hand would move. There may also have been other pictures to go along with where the numbers should be. But I thought it a cool idea to be able to tell your kid that it's not time to get up until the snail is on the whatever or we're not going to the park until the bird flies over to the doo-dad. But you could just get a large wall clock, take it apart, and craft it up like this.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Sleepytime Bunny Clock...from England!!

Lucy,

You know, I have no idea about the ticking! Maybe someone
    on the boards has one and can tell us more?

That's a great question though!

Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Well, not as clever as the other suggestions, but we have a Wacky Wakers Rooster clock for DS. It is a battery operated analog clock. I bought it from Target online. I set the alarm for 6am and tell DS he cannot get up until the rooster crows. It has minimized, but not eliminated early morning wake-ups. It does tick, although it does not seem to bother DS.

They have other animals too and there are other online sources besides Target.

nofeea is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Thanks for the ideas :)

I was a little doubtful about DD's ability to read an analog clock, but the Wonder Time clock (with the animals) just might work. She loves animals... Thanks for all the responses and great ideas :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast