Thread: daytime sleep?

Default daytime sleep?

DD is 8 weeks old and sleeps fairly well at night(Sleeps from about 7p-7a waking 2x around 12am and then 4am and then up for the day at 7, but only takes 30-45 minute naps during the day. Any suggestions on how to get her to sleep longer. I have tried white noise,music, and she can't hold her pacifier in by herself yet. She takes her nap, is up for about an hour and then naps again. Is this normal? DS had colic and never slept more than about an hour day or night, so I am counting my blessings, but was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Default RE: daytime sleep?

If you're in the mood for reading, I found Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child really informative as far as better understanding about infant sleep patterns. The amount of time she's awake sounds normal to me...as far as getting her to sleep longer, have you tried doing some of the same things you do at bedtime? For naps, we swaddle, close the shades and curtains, etc.

Good luck!
    Jessica

I do the same thing as for night, except the room isn't as dark. We are in an apartment while our home is being built and they don't have room darkening shades. Maybe I'll try to hang some blankets.

jayali Guest

My DS never napped more then 30 minutes twice a day. People didn't believe me until they either babysat or were at our house for extended periods of time. I was very lucky, like you, because DS was and is still a terrific night sleeper. We would wake him at 11:00 to give him another bottle, until our Ped told us we were crazy. I think he was sleeping through the night at 3 months old. So I have NO suggestions for you but wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

I also read books and tried everything, DS was just not a day sleeper. Guess there was too much stuff going on that he wanted to see.

Alyssa,

I have an 9 week old daughter. My daughter follows the same exact pattern as yours does. It was nice to see your post! I'm not worried about it. I think her body will sleep as long as it needs. My DD seems alert after a 30 to 45 minute nap.

I did read the Healthy Sleep book that the PP suggested. It is good and I would recommend reading it too. It did stress me out a little because I was so concerned I was going to scar my daughter because she wasn't "getting enough sleep". I had to take it with a grain of salt and then do what works best for my sitution.

A couple of things I learned from the book that might help you... 1. Different parts of the brain control daytime and nighttime sleep. The part of the brain that controls night sleep matures faster than the part that controls daytime sleep. 2. Babies (and maybe adults too) produce Seratonin during the day and Melatonin at night. Seratonin makes the muscles around the gut contract for digestion. Melatonin relaxes the muscles. As babies reach 6 or 7 weeks the amount of Melatonin they produce at night increases so it makes their little bodies relax and therefore helps them sleep longer periods at night. Also found it interesting that babies with colic have been found to have an overabudance of Seratonin in their bodies so their muscles contract harder.

HTH

Jenny

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS was on a similar schedule to your DD till he was 3 months old. Of course they are steadily eating more and as they eat more they sleep longer. In the next 6 weeks she'll probably start sleeping in 1-2 hour stretches and drop a feeding. If she likes her swing I would suggesting trying it out to see if she sleeps longer in the swing then in her bed or longer in the bouncy seat. White noise is a good idea, so keep that up.

You are doing all the right stuff. Have you read Happiest Baby on the Block? It's a great book/DVD. Rent the DVD. It saved me. For some reason DS slept about 30 minutes in the bouncer and over an hour in the cradle swing.