Default What to do for ear pain in adults

On tuesday I had a fever of 101. My temp is usually around 97 so i knew something was wrong. I had a very stuffy nose and was nauseous from the post nasal drip. Yesterday i had at temp ~99 the entire day and my nose was still stuffy and full. I called the DR today to make an appt and i made one for tomorrow. In the past ~3 hours my sinus headache has decreased but i have had horrible ear pain. I know that i have a ton of fluid in my ear. I took motrin and have been laying with a warm compress for an hour. Should i page the DR now and tell her my symptoms and go from there? I think it is a combo ear- sinus infection right now and from past experience it will not get better without heavy duty med.

Any tips on how to help the pain?

Thanks so much

Ilana

http://lilypie.com/pic/060218/pBEG.jpg[/img][/url]

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: What to do for ear pain in adults

you can try this stuff! My Friend swares by it!

http://www.healthyrelief.com/product...che-relief.cfm

Good Luck... hope they give you some good meds and you are feeling much better in 24/48 hrs!

~Tondi

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would think most of us have mostly experience with children here, but I know for my son the Pediatrician prescribed a numbing drop that helped him while the antibiotics got to work. Hope you get resolution soon!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

himom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Heat is the right way to go. I had some pretty bad ear infections that were somewhat relieved by a heating pad. Also, take steamy showers and continuously blow your nose.

And it sounds weird, but if you partially fill a mug with very hot (almost boiling water) and put your ear over it, the heat and pressure kind of help loosen things up a bit. Just be careful not to burn your lobes or make the water too hot for you to handle. A nurse taught me that when I was in college and I thought it was crazy but it did work!

Hope you feel better real soon!
    Jodi

pritchettzoo Guest

I wouldnt't page the doctor unless I were concerned enough to go to the ER. Although most pediatricians probably are used to middle-of-the-night pages, it's necessary more with children who are uncommunicative and harder to diagnose and who cannot understand what is happening to them. Your mom may be more familiar with what your ped is comfortable with though. I don't think I would call ours if Gracie told me her ear hurt absent other worrisome symptoms--I'd just be on the phone as soon as the nurse line opened to get her an appt.

For pain, have you tried the usual suspects of Advil and Tylenol? Tylenol Sinus type med?

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

Thanks for the help. I just got back from the DR, she said one of my ears is flaming red and bubbly and the other ear has tons of fluid. She gave me meds for 10 days and said if i am stil in pain after that to call her and let her know.

Thanks again,

Ilana

http://lilypie.com/pic/060218/pBEG.jpg[/img][/url]