Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best Sofa/Fabric for House with Kids, Pets and Allergies

My husband and I are desperate to replace our crappy family room couch with something new and are wondering what other people would suggest/have.

We are pretty decided on a slipcovered couch (a la Pottery Barn) for the cleaning ease factor, but wondered what fabric people think is the best choice. How many slipcovers should we get for it (i was thinking either 2 in the same fabric or one for spring/summer and one for fall/winter). I've read in some magazines that people have gotten slipcovers made with indoor/outdoor fabric. How comfortable/soft is this? What about faux suede (microfiber)? Also, are there brands people like? I know PBarn well because I used to work there but not really other places. Crate and Barrel? I know Mitchell Gold sofas are good quality.

Help!

jayali Guest

Default RE: Best Sofa/Fabric for House with Kids, Pets and Allergies

OMG, I can't believe you just posted this. I am just getting ready to call someone to measure for new slipcovers. We currently have and have always had slipcovered furniture. I found it completely necessary, even before we had kids, because we really live on our furniture and we have a dog. That said here is what I am planning on doing.

I change the room around with the seasons so we have always had spring/summer and fall/winter. If you are doing slipcovers I would highly recommend it. They will last longer and you won't become so bored with them. We have a Pottery Barn couch in our apartment and I do love it, but have to say that after washing the slipcovers they started to ravel in the seams. The couch is yellow and I wash it a lot. We also have a weekend house (which we are currently living in full time) and I have a Shabby Chic couch, which I have now had for 6 years and I LOVE it! The slipcovers wash beautifully. They are cream and the others are green linen. I can't say enough about the quality, however I can say they are VERY EXPENSIVE! The good thing about Shabby Chic is that you can order replacement cushion covers which is a really good thing because those are really the only things that wear out. We have two Mitchell Gold chairs and I really like them. I had them covered in a sort of brushed chenille and those have also washed really well.

I am now getting ready to have white twill covers made. Everyone thinks I am CRAZY, but I just love that look for the summer. For the fall/winter I will have something done in a deep cream (I think) and accent both with pillows. I figured twill and or a denim like material will hold up well, especially with washing.

We have a Crate and Barrel leather couch in our den in the apartment and I really like the quality of that as well. Not sure about their slipcovered pieces. You may also want to try Restoration Hardware. We have some of their wood furnishings and I am very impressed with the quality so maybe their slipcovered pieces are good also.

Keep me posted on what you decide. I am off to make my phone call!!!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I went with leather. I have 3 boys ( 1 with all allergies except cats) Its durable / cleanable / comforable. Our rec room sofa has been DH's for 11 yrs and is still holding up great. I hope our new one does as well.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have leather on our sofa too. It is so easy to keep clean and the animal hair just brushes right off. We love ours.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

yes - leather, leather, leather for allergies (and ease of cleaning)! especially if anyone is allergic to dustmites... they can't get through the leather to live in the couch.

Thanks for all of the input so far. My problem with leather is just that we have 2 leathers Manhattan club chairs from Pbarn in our living room/sitting room which is connected to the family room so you can see it all together. i suppose i could get the manhattan sofa but that could be too matchy matchy and i don't want a total leather house. that's why i thought maybe the faux suede could work. i have many friends who say you can spill anything on it (including red wine) and it comes clean. but leather is an option, i suppose.

I am going to look at Shabby Chic stuff. Where can you buy it? We have some stuff from crate and barrel (not upholstered) and are happy with the quality. Nothing from restoration but can check there too. My problem is that I just don't like the fabric choices at alot of these places (Pbarn and restoration). they are too boring. crate and barrel has more options.

i'll keep you posted.

anyone have any luck with martha stewart signature furniture?

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

No experience with those brands, but we have Natuzzi sectional sofa in microfiber. Very easy to wipe clean, a necessity with DS - milk, ground in cookies just wipe up.. We have 2 dogs, pet hair is always a problem, I either use my animal dyson, or at petstores you can buy a rubber sponge that's great for picking up pet hair. Between those 2, the couch looks great.

I need to re-upholster the couch in the living room...so I'm interested in the slip cover options. Who can you call to have them custom-made??

I know calico corners does custom slipcovers. i'm sure there are many others (have seen them a lot on HGTV design shows). could probably google search and find.

Natuzzi...I'll check that out.

Also, what is a dyson animal vac?

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have some no named slip covered sectional.

When we moved last year, I took them off and washed them. AND THEY SHRUNK! They don't fit on our couch anymore and it looks horrendous.

So be careful!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
    BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
    (Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Sorry, a dyson vaccum cleaner, they have one called the animal - it has an attachment for picking up pet hair from upholestry.

Here's a link to the dyson web page. It's a spendy vaccum cleaner. They do have other models. I bought mine at Costco and saved about $100. I use it 3-4x a week on the couch - 2 long haired dogsm and it is worth every cent I paid.

http://www.dyson.com/range/range_ove...sinavtype=menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast