Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Best Sofa/Fabric for House with Kids, Pets and Allergies

I'm not sure where you are, but just wanted to let you know that ABC Carpet is currently offering 20% off on all Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams special orders. I don't know if this is a MG + BW promotion or not. FWIW we have leather, and honestly I don't love it. I wish I had gone with ultrasuede, but I must say that the leasther couch has held up very well.

HTH

Carmen
    DD May 2003
    DD May 2005

jayali Guest

We bought our shabby chic sofa from the store in Soho. I have seen pieces in other places. You may want to search on the internet for stores near you.

Default *LONG*RE: Best Sofa/Fabric for House with Kids, Pets and Allergies

I sell furniture, so I think I can help here. :D
    First figure out what is most important to you - do you want a sofa that will last several years and be very cleanable, but not so expensive that you'll feel bad when you ditch it to get a really good one. Or, do you want a really good one that will last a long time and be really cleanable too?
    Reasonable and cleanable? Anything microfiber will clean up great. It's 100% polyester and so tightly woven that it's waterproof - but - you can see hand/butt marks on it and since it's one flat color it's easy to see any little spill or blemish. Keep in mind also that it's kind of trendy right now. You can find microfiber sofas in any price range you can think of.
    Also, anything with olefin is great, particulary if it's blended with poly. However olefin will fade in direct sunlight. Run from anything cotton.:o Rayon dulls after awhile, acrylic pills and/or can get brittle. A small amount of anything blended with poly or olefin is fine. Look for a "W" or "WS" fabric. All fabrics are coded like this - "W" means water based cleaners only. "S" means solvent cleaners only (think dry cleaning). "WS" means anything goes. Slip covers should be dry cleaned no mater what, just in case you run into the previous poster's problem.
    Leather is the best call for durability and cleaning - even with kids and pets - but I'm with you on the matchy thing. However if you do get leather only buy top or full grain hides (you probably know what that means if you've worked at PB), no "genuine", "Italian" or "all" leather furniture. Always look for the word "grain" where the leather is described - explaining why would take another half page.
    The best sofa's in the whole world are Flexsteel. Fashion House and Broyhill are also excellent. Rowe/Mitchell Gold are still great, but not as good as they were before they went bankrupt. I sell La-Z-Boy, and I honestly think they're one of the best values on the market for quality/price.
    Eight way tide springs are nice - but as much as Ethan Allen will try to tell you otherwise, it's all about what you think is most comfortable. Sinuous steel springs ("S" shaped, front to back) are also excellent. I wouldn't go with anything else.
    I could go on and on - but I better not. I'll keep an eye out if you have any specific questions.
    Nancy

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

>Slip
    >covers should be dry cleaned no mater what, just in case you
    >run into the previous poster's problem.

The dry cleaner wouldn't do them. Said they were too big and heavy and would ruin her machines. So I did it my self, short wash on cold, hang dry, and they still shrunk! UGH!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
    BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
    (Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i'd love for you to go on and on! i'm in the market for a leather sectional ("L" shaped). can you tell me more about "grain" being the type of leather to get (i was just looking at one at costco.com that was italian leather so i think i saw your post just in time to save me :) )

also, what's the deal with the springs? just to make sure - you think sinuous springs are great, with eight way springs also being really good too? and avoid other types???

one more question... where can i find different colors of leather couches? i mostly see black and browns - neither of which would look good in my house.

Deb - I know what you mean. I had to hunt for a dry cleaner who would do my slipcovers. You did the best you could under the circumstances. It could have been way worse. My friend washed hers and they shredded!
    O.K., leather....Cow hide is so thick that they split it the long way - making two skins out of one. The bottom part is called the finished split because it must be "finished" to look like leather again. Not only must it be coated, but any skin pattern has to be pressed into it. The top half is the "top grain". It is most durable because it has the upper eppidermus (sp?) on it. It is also the most beautiful because you can see the natural markings of the hide - things like scars, fat wrinkles, and even the occasional brand! Top grain ages better and developes a beautiful patina over time.
    Finished splits are most often refered to as Italian leather, All leather or Genuine leather. If you don't mind the idea of replacing your sofa in 8 to 10 years then don't worry about it. You'll still get the cleanability factor, and most fabric sofas last about that long. A top grain hide will always be described using the word "grain". Once you've seen enough of them you'll be able to tell just by looking. I don't know where to get other colors other than here at La-Z-Boy - but we've got something like 60 color choices and 4 different grades of top grain hides.
    Also - don't let softness fool you. Any leather can be soft. Top grain hides can also have some finish on them, it just makes them more scratch resistant. The vast majority of leather comes from Brazil, but a good bit of that is actually processed in Italy.
    Springs - Most sofas are either 8 way tied (sometimes hand-tied, sometimes machine-tied) or sinuous spring. The difference being that 8-way tied sofas have a bit more of a "sink in" factor. The springs look more like matress springs. Both are durable. All that really matters is if your butt likes it. Just a few companies have other methods that I wouldn't recomend. Also always look for kiln dried hardwood and/or furniture grade laminates (plywood). AVOID MDF (chipcore)! Always find out what the frame is, and look if you can. Ask about pillow construction. You only want high density foam wrapped in polly batting or down/feathers (if you're getting fancy). Nothing else stays puffy. Also any good company will offer a lifetime waranty on the frame and springs.
    That's about all I can think of - but let me know if you have any questions.
    Nancy

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

nancy thank you sooo much for the education!!!

i'm really excited that you guys have 60 color choices! does that mean i have 60 choices for all the furniture or each item has a few color choices?

i'm going to look at the la-z-boy website right now :)

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Flexsteel

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but wanted to chime in on Flexsteel. This past year we bought a new sofa and two flexsteel recliners (all leather). I did a ton of research and (for the money -- sort of mid range $$$), Flexsteel was the best. So far ours is going strong and I love the leather.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Flexsteel

I agree. Flexsteel is wonderful. I win't even tell you how old my couch and loveseat are. It went through 3 kids and tons of abuse. I loved it so much I had it reupohlstered and it is now in our basement.

Dcclerk is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't know about Shabby Chic, but there is a local furniture maker here in LA called Cisco Brothers that makes a lot of the custom stuff for independently owned boutiques, Anthropologie, etc. A lot of Cisco Brother's stuff is the shabby chic style, including my slipcovered couch, and it is excellent quality-- hand-tied, down-wrapped cushions, easy to wash, etc. Plus, the owner has such a rags to riches story, and really looks out for the local community, which I really like. If you can find someone locally who carries Cisco Brothers, I think they are great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast