Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    cara1 Guest

Default RE: Is there a baby-friendly, non-toxic version of Neosporin?

Your list does not list any side effects. I am still not hearing anything toxic about topical Bacitracin, even if some is ingested.

There are other components of Neosporin that the OP may have been trying to avoid (Neomycin, Polymyxin B) rather than Bacitracin, which is why I mentioned it.

There are many medications routinely given to children that are not FDA approved. That doesn't mean they aren't safe. Generally it means that children were excluded from the initial studies.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

>Since the OP is worried about her baby ingesting it, I
    >wouldn't recommend bacitracin:

That and also many people (including me) can't use Neosporin BECAUSE it contains bacitracin. My doctor always gives me a double antibotic ointment that is bacitracin free. Many people with senistive skin have this problem apparently.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Please tell me that I'm not going to have to lock a thread concerning what to put on an infant's hang nail.

Let's play nice, ladies.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

amp Guest

Use breastmilk, lanisnoh or Aquaphor. All are relatively safe. We used them on DD's hands, even when they were in his mouth. All have some healing properties.

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks everyone.
    I tried Aquaphor and have been soaking his finger in breastmilk a couple of times a day for the last two days and it's still not looking that great. I'm worried that it's an infection and after speaking with the nurse at my ped's office for the third time about this matter, we decided it would probably be best to bring him in for the Dr to take a look at it tomorrow. I probably sound like such a paranoid worry-wart, but it really isn't looking good and I think it should be healing after a week. I guess I would just rather be on the safe side.

I'm going to run to Whole Foods tonight also and see if I can pick up some Calendula ointment. I'll also ask my Ped tomorrow what she thinks of Neosporin and bacitracin. I have absolutely no medical knowledge on either but the warning label on the Neosporin alone is enough to be make me weary of putting it on my own skin. I'm trying to get back to a more all natural lifestyle; try to avoid chemicals and toxins whenever there is a safer, more natural, but effective alternative.

Thanks again everyone !!
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2