Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Speaking of baby names...

Extended family? I would use the name no matter how much they hated it.

Spouse? No, I would not use the name. I think both parents should be in agreement on the name so I crossed off names that J did not like and he did the same for me.

That said, J's mother, J's Grandmother as well as my mother all hated Tobias as a name. Now that Toby is here they all seem ok with it.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Wait until they are holding the new baby in their arms. You could name that baby Armageddon and they will tell you that it's the best name they have every heard and they've always loved the nickname Army.

LOL! thsi made me smile. ; )

Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

(I don't consider the veto final until the kid is actually named though--continued attempts to persuade each other are allowed )

I guess that's sort of why I keep saying the name aloud, even though we don't even know the baby's gender. I'm hoping maybe it will seep into his subconscious,
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, one thing you could do is have a short list of names when you go into the hospital and then you could see which name suits your little girl the most. I really do think your DH should have a say, but if you love it that much, it should go on your shortlist. And as you say, you may change your mind or maybe you and DH will find it suits your little girl. Personally, I think both of you should at least like the name that you end up using, but like I said, one or both of you may change your mind. As for the rest of the family--well, it's not up to them. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca...-6_Kaya+is.png
    Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

This was our policy as well. We had the names picked out (didn't know sex until birth), but refused to tell anyone. Didn't want to hear how bad a choice Forrest was for a name.

Well, we got our little Forrest, and its a perfect name for the little guy, and now everyone thinks it was a brilliant choice! My mom did say that she wouldn't have thought it was a great name, though, had I mentioned it earlier.

We'll do the same next time if we are blessed with another kid.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No one in our family liked our son's name. Pretty much everyone over 50 said, "What??? We'll call him by his middle name." Ummm, NO! DH and I both loved it and went with it. We wouldn't have named him a name we couldn't both agree on though.

~Linda~
    http://lilypie.com/pic/060427/fDdc.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/qW3mm7.png

jennabear Guest

Evelyn is a name I never liked but now is really growing on me quickly. With a nn of Evie or Ev; just too cute!

But if DH doesn't like it then I'd start looking again. If you both like it and no one else does then go for it! They'll love it when they meet her.

Evelyn is my great aunt's name, my mom's middle name and my cousin just named her newborn Evelyn. The cousin is from the other side of the family and didn't even know about the other two! And i just saw that the Social Security Administartion relased their 2005 baby names (www.ssa.gov) and Evelyn is moving up the charts quickly.

So tell your family that apparently lots of other people like it and THEY are the odd balls. :)Too bad for them! Your husband is a different story. You have to LIVE with him and it is his child too, so i'd give him some consideration. BUT...the one who beareth the pain giveth the name in the end!

I agree with PPs that DH should have veto power over the name. But the rest of the family - no way! And since they seem to feel free to weigh in, I'd stop telling them what you're thinking - it's such a downer to have people giving their negative feedback.

I always wanted my dtr's middle name to be Kathleen after my two best friends. Don't think DH loved it but he went along because it's a middle name and plus, DS is the Fifth after the men in his family (including DH) so I kind of felt this one could be "my side" so long as he didn't hate it.

SIL considered naming her son Hercules - a bunch of us were together and we burst out laughing when she told us this. I honestly thought she was kidding and then felt bad when it was clear she wasn't. I noticed she didn't go with it, though. :0

Laurel
    WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
    Baby Madeline 12/14/04

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When it comes to naming our child(ren) we don't live in a democracy. DH and I get to pick and we don't let anybody know until after the baby has arrived. That is, we don't tell the peanut gallery squat!
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast