Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Henna for the hair UPDATE

I had posted about this some time ago. Well, I finally did it and thought I'd post about my experience, since there was some interest initially. I went to an Indian salon and had henna done for my hair, for $20. They painted it on in thick layers, covering every bit of my hair. Then I had to wait 10 min. while it dried (think of the coneheads, expect my hair was GREEN!) and finally I went home and let it sit for five hours!!! It started to peel off a bit, and those pieces fell on the floor, so next time I would be more careful and wear a good shower cap (I had a flimsy one, and they put cotton around it.). THEN I washed it off with water only, in a bucket, and dumped the mix in the toilet, and oiled my hair overnight. In the morning I washed it out.

PHEW

It was messy, but I LOVE the results! My hair is black so it gives a very slight reddish tint, especially in the sun. On lighter hair, the results would be more extreme. My greys have become reddish brown. It's a great conditioner, too. I think I'll have to do this every 4-6 weeks, and though it is a pain, I think it's well worth it, plus this way I avoid chemicals!

Kris

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: Henna for the hair UPDATE

Thanks for the review! If I end up having to color my hair down the road, I'd definitely want to do henna, and I'd definitely prefer to find a salon that can do it vs. the entire mess at home!

Thanks for posting your experience...it sounds like you are very happy with it and I'm sure it looks great!
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Kris-

I have my hair professionally coloured to get rid of the ever-multiplying greys. Problem is that now with swimming, my hair is getting dried out. What do you use to oil your hair? Do you just slime it on and braid it? I've got quite a mop of thick, long hair (it's all one length for the most part and is roughly long enough to hit the bottom of my bra strap) and have never actually oiled it at home. How hard is it to get the oil out of your hair?

I read somewhere that coconut oil is good since it is technically a solid that you warm in your hands.
    Thanks!

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

I used coconut oil :) I just massaged it in my hair and tied it back with a ponytail holder, but braiding would have worked better, I think. It came out easily with the shampoo, but my hair is very dry (unless I neglect to wash it for a few days, and then it gets greasy - lucky me) so it absorbed the oil easily.

Kris

I forgot to mention that I could have had them wash it out for me for $5, which may have been worth it considering the mess! However, I had the initial appt. in the evening, so I needed to wash it out at midnight!

Kris

Default Awesome!!

I SO want someone else do it for me at this point. ANyone know of a hena salon in NYC, please LMK!!! I am sure they exist, I just can't find them!!

I have used coconut oil for years for my hair...I put it all over my hair and face and let it sit for as long as I can, sometimes I massage it into my skin, it warms up and feels awesome. Washing it out of the hair is a bit of a pain (it is an oil after all), but I love my face when I wake up in the morning after a coconut oil session. And I think my hair looks pretty okay too, esp. since i never style it as such :)

Default RE: Awesome!!

I bet you could find a place in Queens. Otherwise, they're definitely in Jersey City.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

Sounds like we have the same hair ;)

The coconut oil I saw was at Whole Foods by the regular cooking oils. It's a white solid (kind of looks like Crisco) in a jar. Is that it?

Thanks again

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

Marisa, You can also easily find the coconut oil at any Indian grocery shop. Parachute is a good brand.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast