Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Where do you get your large digital photos developed?

I have always used ofoto/kodak gallery for developing my digital prints (actually I have used a couple of the other on-line developing places as well), but am about to develop some photos for what I hope will be come a photo wall. I have some larger pics, including some black and whites and I am wondering if it is better to have them done somewhere else, mostly I am thinking about photo shops around here that I can access in person. One thing I worry about is the permanance of pictures. Does anyone know if the ink they use when you get something developed quickly, in a store, or from one of those machines is different/not as good?

Stores I have around here are Rite Aid, Fred Meyer, and Target. Has anyone used any of those services for larger digital prints.

Much thanks!
    Robyn
    single mommy to a 3 yr old from Guatemala

Default RE: Where do you get your large digital photos developed?

I regularly have large prints done at Costco and have always been happy with the results. I also love that you can now upload the photos to Costco.com. I have had photographers actually tell me that they use Costco themselves.

Steer clear of Walmart. They are so inconsistent.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've had the best luck at Coscto and at www.winkflash.com.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks. We do have a Costco, but I am not a member. Maybe it is worth becoming a member, I will think about it.

I have never done in-store developing, so can someone tell me how it works? Do you hand over your memory card or how do the pics get developed? How do you specify which ones you want?

Thanks again,
    Robyn

The process ofoto uses is essentially the same chemical process that would be used for traditional film pictures. The method of getting the picture onto the paper is different, but the processing is the same. I would not worry in the slightest about the permanence of those. What you absolutely *don't* want to do is use one of the kiosks which are thermal printers. They may have improved since I tried them a decade ago, but the thermal prints I made have faded and turned odd colors over the years. Luckily they weren't anything important!

I've gotten beautiful 8x10s from ofoto. I've never printed anything larger than that simply because I've never needed to. But I do have friends who use ofoto all the time and have printed larger format pictures with no problems at all. (Ahem. I should probably mention that those friends are former coworkers and that in my former life I used to work for Kodak at this point... ;) )

Honestly, if you're happy with your smaller prints from ofoto, I would just order the larger ones from there. You could always try just one and see if you're happy with it.

Sarah :)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Most stores have little computers that are self serve. You insert your memory card or CD into the computer and select which photos you want printed. You can also select the size, b&w etc. The computer transfers the info to photo processors. At Costco it prints a recipt and you pay right there. At Walmart you return in an hour, longer if it is a huge order, and pay when you pick up.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I've never used them, but this online developer sounds like they produce quality photos...they even offer prints on metallic paper!! I always thought that sounded very cool.

http://www.mpix.com/
    Ashley

DD 10/2005

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

With Costco, you can upload the pics to their website from home, and just pick them up later!
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have heard that your best bet if you are going to upload them to Costco's website is to pick them up in the store instead of having them delivered. I guess they contract out the strictly "on-line" stuff and the quality isn't as consistant.

The price for a 12x18 at Costco is supossed to be $2.99, which seems quite reasonable to me.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

bunnisa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I researched this not long ago and York had the best quality reviews. I have placed one order with them and am much happier than I've been with Snapfish, Ofoto, etc. I've also heard great things about Adorama Pix but I haven't used them.

Honestly, I think you'll get better quality from an online service than a mass-marketer with a poorly trained employee. Do you have a camera store nearby that processes film in-house? If so, I'd go there.

...blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
    -Justin Torres

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast