Default CA Car trip advice - OC to SF

We're driving from Irvine to San Francisco in a couple of weeks with a 17-months old. What's the best route to avoid LA traffic? Internet search gave two options: 1) 405 all the way then 5. 2) 55 which quickly connects to 5. Any other better routes besides those two? Any recommended pit stops along the way? TIA.

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: CA Car trip advice - OC to SF

It'll all depend on what day you travel (weekday versus weekend) and what time. I would do the 55 to the 5 and take 5 all the way up north, but it's not a very exciting drive. If you have more time, you can take the 101 all the way up, and have some nice coastal scenery, but if you are driving north in the late afternoon/evening then you'll hit rush hour.

We just did a 6 hour drive up to Fremont 3 weeks ago with our 2 1/2 yr old and our then 8 month old. We stopped every 2 hours so DS could stretch, and check diapers, feed DD, etc. It made it much easier for everyone. There are several places to stop along the way, and there are fast food restaurants, etc. We stopped at McDonalds for lunch and got DS a Happy Meal so the toy kept him entertained for a while too.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

holliam Guest

Yea 101 would be much more scenic and longer. Driving along 5 from so cal to no cal is just about the most boring drive I've ever taken (and I've been on a lot of road trips!). So, be prepared for that if you go that route!

Holli

>It'll all depend on what day you travel (weekday versus
    >weekend) and what time.

We'll be leaving on a Thursday. Thinking about going around 5am so that DD can sleep for a couple more hours while we get some driving in and hopefully to avoid LA traffic. Does that sound reasonable? She usually does not sleep again until after lunch. So we anticipate some stops in the morning for her to stretch. We'd like to take the shortest route, so 101 is out. Are there any parks or playgrounds along the way?
    Thanks very much!

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

5am on a Thursday means you'll be hitting the morning commute traffic around 6-7am. You'd probably be better off leaving around 9-10am, so you can miss both the morning and evening traffic.

If you take the 5, there are a couple rest stops along the way with picnic areas. We stopped at one for lunch, had McDonald's and then let DS run around the picnic area for a while. Otherwise the drive doesn't have much besides rest stops.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

I would avoid the 405 if at all possible. It's fine in the OC, but once you hit the Westside, it sucks, sucks, sucks. I agree with the PP about waiting until after the morning rush hour traffic. DH and I used to live in the Bay Area and drive down all the time for holidays (both our families are in SoCal). The only time it was advantageous to leave that early in the morning is during the holiday when most people aren't working. That way we were able to stay ahead of all the traffic both ways. The total drive took about 6 hours, with a couple of bathroom breaks and switching of drivers, from the East Bay to east LA county. I'm sure it would take longer now that we have DS.

The drive on the 5 is very boring. Hopefully you'll hit a good stretch where you can use your cruise control. The 101 is much more scenic, but it does take a long time. It always seems to slow down drastically through Santa Barbara/Solvang for us. Bring lots of music to keep you entertained and awake!

Have fun on your trip!

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif 14 months

Thanks for everyone's advice! We'll leave mid-morning and hope for the best.