Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    slr is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default RE: Very silly question-What is it like to get a mani/pedi?

Make sure you have your gift cert, tip $, and keys easily accessible so you don't have to go digging through your purse once your nails are done. Don't want them to chip right away!

Have a great time!

sdbc Guest

Awesome and relaxing--especially the ped! Just make sure they autoclave their tools for sterilization, and that things that can't be autoclaved (like the sandpaper block they use to scour your feet) are disposable. Those are the laws in most states. Prior to these regulations, manicures and pedicures were linked to several cases of hepatitis.

The place I go (when I go--not often) made a policy that you had to buy the sandpapery thing for $2, but then you keep it and bring it back each time. 've been to other places where they just throw them away--seems wasteful, though.

ETA--thjey usually let you pay just before they polish your fingernails. Grt your car keys out then, too. Also, you need to take off your rings, so if you wear an $ diamond ring, leave it home.

Sue

cmdunn1972 Guest

>They first will soak your fingers, remove any polish and then
    >ask if you want your nails cut or filed. They will push back
    >your cuticles and (should) ask if you want them cut. That is a
    >personal preferance and they should ask IMHO.

Ilana, you're right! They _should_ ask. Unfortunately, it seems to depend on the salon or the aesthetician doing the mani/pedi. I've been kind of hit-or-miss on that question, and it bugs me.

I really hate it when aestheticians are more in the habit of simply trimming cuticles than asking the customer whether or not to trim them. For that reason, Sheila, perhaps it would be a good idea to state your preference from the get-go if you'd prefer to not have them trimmed. Just like anything else, if they question why you have a preference at all, then I'd hesitate to give them my business.

HTH!

Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

HEAVEN!!!! Enjoy your first time,,,and relish being a virgin!!!!

well it sure as shootin' ain't nuthin' like cleanin' the toilet. so even if you don't love it, it's better than my day to day routine!!!

BTW, you don't have to have your nails painted. you can leave them plain or use clear, if you don't want to be too dolled up. you can do something wild on your toes since you can wear flip flops and show them off or wear sneakers and save them for yourself. the painting part is definitely not the fun part!
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mani/Pedi's are wonderful. I go every 3 weeks as a treat to myself just for being Nathan's mom LOL
    You soak your hands in nice warm water they remove all the dead skin around your cuticles and shape your nails I get clear polish on my hands
    My "place" has viberating chairs with little tubs that whirlpool your feet. They buff your heals rub lotion on your lets trim & paint your toe nails ( I pay the extra $5 and get a flower design on my big toe!)
    FYI I also have my eyebrows waxed while Im there I am SO lazy about plucking.
    Ive been doing them for years and plan to continue as long as Im able LOL>
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Thanks so much for all the tips/advice! :)

My gift cert is in fact, for Nordstrom's. I should be okay as I am not someone who has a hard time with people touching me. You know, how some people are uncomfortable with stuff like massages, etc...NOt me, bring it on I say,lol. :)

I haven't been to any kind of salon in YEARS. I only even had a massage once in my life, and that was in the hotel room with DH when we were on our honeymoon. They came in and gave us massages at the same time. All. kinds. of. awesome. hahaha I've been wanting to get a prenatal one but who has the time. A friend of mine has been cutting my hair at her house for ages now (she did go to cosmetology school, so it's not like she's just wacking it off with dull scissors in her kitchen or something,lol). AND I watch waaaay too much Dateline--dirty salons--so all that combined made me a little "ummm, okay." when I thought about going.

It was a great gift and I am totally looking forward to it. Thanks again for letting me know what to expect! :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2