Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Very silly question-What is it like to get a mani/pedi?

The wives of a couple of DH's golf buddies have given me a gift cert for a mani/pedi. I have never had one im my entire life. What should I expect? Is there anything I should know? Should I check things out before I actually go? I mean I am not being ungrateful in the least and I really think it was so awesome that they even thought of me since I rarely see them. But, I *did* see Paula Abdul on TV screaming about how she almost lost a finger because of a bad manicure, so you know....

This is just very foreign territory for me.

Thanks!

Lmoor is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default RE: Very silly question-What is it like to get a mani/pedi?

They are DIVINE!!!! So nice and relaxing. I generally trust spa type places. I haven't really been to any dives. Make sure the place looks clean and nice.

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I know some people bring their own "tools", but I never do. I don't have them all the time, or even as much as I'd like, but I always enjoy them.

They'll soak your hands and feet in warm soapy water, and then, I don’t remember the order, but they will trim and file your nails (they will ask if you want square or oval, I never know, I just say not sharp edges cause I don’t want to maul one of my kids) then they’ll rub lotion in and do a mini massage (that part is great), then they push the cuticles back and sometimes trim and cut the excess skin and cuticle, which is probably where paula abduls turned south. Then you pick a color polish - I pick french for my hands, because it doesn’t show as much when it chips. But you could get any color, even purple or blue. And they paint them.

When my husband once saw me having a pedicure he was flabbergasted, because in some places you sit up on this high, pedestal of a chair, and the pedicurist is pretty much crouching down by your feet. It does look kindof, I don’t know, like you are spoiled, hard to explain. At other places the person just sits across from you and puts your foot in her/his lap.

I have only had a bad experience once, when some guy cut my cuticles too far onto my finger, and ripped some extra layers of skin off, kindof like I do to myself when I am nervous. So next time I made sure to tell the person not to trim too much at all.

I have friends who have manicures every week like clockwork, and they never have problems.

Hope you enjoy it.

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've only had one real spa day, and it was heaven! It was fun being 'girlie' for once. It was a gift to my best friend from her other bridesmaid and I the day before her wedding to do the full massage, mani and pedi treatment for all of us. :)

just relax and enjoy! :)

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

Ahh...there is nothing better than a pedicure! :)
    (And I'm one of those people who hates massages.)

I don't think there's anything special you need to be concerned about. I got them when I was pregnant and never had a problem.

Relax and enjoy! They're addictive. ;)

cmdunn1972 Guest

>I have only had a bad experience once, when some guy cut my
    >cuticles too far onto my finger, and ripped some extra layers
    >of skin off, kindof like I do to myself when I am nervous. So
    >next time I made sure to tell the person not to trim too much
    >at all.

I love mani/pedi's, except for the part when they trim the cuticles. Sometimes it seems they pull too much (maybe because the tools need sharpening?).

Sheila, I would make sure your nails are dry enough before leaving the place. Try to be as careful as you can getting into the car on your way home. While I hate being prissy and feel it's nearly impossible to do the "princess hands" thing when you're a Mom, it's also annoying to have the polish get chipped before you even get them home! Maybe your DH can take care of the kiddos so you don't have to juggle too much on your way home.

HTH! Hope, too, that you enjoy some girlie time. :)

I had my first pedicure at Nordstrom's not too long ago. They reclined my chair and played some music while my feet were soaking in a basin of warm water. Then they came back, put an eyemask on me, and massaged my feet and calves with lotion, rubbed my callouses off, clipped my toenails, filed them, wrapped my feet up in a warm wrap, and let them sit. Then they dipped my feet in paraffin wax, removed it, and painted my toenails. They gave me plastic flip-flops to wear home. It was fun! I believe they used one-time use instruments that were individually wrapped.

Suggestion - do a really neutral color on your fingers and something more fun on your toes. Mommy mani's tend to chip in no time flat because our hands are in water, picking up, cooking etc all the time. Pedis last much longer and aren't as subject to chipping so you won't have to worry about it looking bad quickly. Just my 2 cents.
    Alaina
    Alex Feb '03

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

>I had my first pedicure at Nordstrom's not too long ago.

The pedi's at Nordstroms are the BEST! Very expensive (from what I remember) but awesome!

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6/02
    and Bella 12/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif

I do not think it is a silly question.

I get my mani/pedi's done at the nail salon that is near my house. I have been going there for years, literally.

They first will soak your fingers, remove any polish and then ask if you want your nails cut or filed. They will push back your cuticles and (should) ask if you want them cut. That is a personal preferance and they should ask IMHO. They then use a cutical oil and also a creamy substance. Following this they buff the nails slightly and then polish. they also use a lotion at my place and give you a heavenly arm/hand/foot massage. I like to get 2 top coats on my nails, i find that it helps them to last longer. I also need to sit and literally not move for at least 5 minutes or i will chip my nails. I try to wait longer but i lose patience very quickly.

I am not sure where you are going but have fun and try to relax! I really try not to think about the 500 things i have to do when i leave and it is my "break" and hour to myself every 2 weeks.

Have fun!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060826/Fsm6.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/alzym7/.png[/img][/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast