Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Halloween party ideas for 2-3 year olds?

With all the Halloween hoopla starting up, DS1 has started asking to go to a Halloween party - at least a few times a day. DH and I are thinking that, since we don't have any kids' Halloween parties to go to, it might be fun to have a little party for DS's playgroup friends.

It would be a small party, about 5-10 kids, and we're thinking of a Saturday morning, from 10-noon. They can wear their costumes, play games, etc.

But... what games? Would they even cooperate or *want* to play organized games? They're all between 2.5 and 3 years old. I'm envisioning them all in their Halloween costumes playing at the train table while the organized activities are abandoned, lol.

In a Barney Halloween DVD that we rented recently, they made ghost pictures using each child's footprints, and DS was fascinated, but I dread the mess already.

Any suggestions on activities/games/snacks?
    TIA!

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
    ... and Logan! May 20, 2006

Default RE: Halloween party ideas for 2-3 year olds?

Everyone get a roll of cheap toilet paper, and daddy gets wrapped as a mummy! It was the hit the party I went to last year. Daddy did eventually get out of the chair and chased them a bit too!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second the toilet paper idea! It would make for great photos!

I might also try hanging donuts from string at various lenghts across the room for them to try to eat off without touching it with their hands (this was a big hit at a party we went to, but the kids were a little older)

Pumpkin bolwing - I found 6 plastic pumpkins (similar to the size of the pumpkin buckets you can find everywhere right now that kids use as Trick or treating buckets) and I stacked them in a pyramid and gave them a small pumpkin gourd to roll into the plastic pumpkins.

You could also set out some Halloween themed pages to color (I googled and found a ton to print out). or stickers - can't go wrong with stickers!

I would also just do a few fun and crazy treats - mud cups (chocolat pudding with crushed oreos and gummy worms), cheese cut in shapes of ghosts, some crazy punch - again, Google is a wonderful thing for this!

HTH!
    Jen

DD#1 is 7 years old
    DD#2 is 6 year old

holliam Guest

We're having a big toddler Halloween party here. I'm still thinking of activities, but some I have thought of:

- very, very, very simple scavenger hunt (like with photos to the next item)
    - musical pumpkins.. basically make cardstock pumpkins, put on the floor...when halloween music stops, kids have to stay on the pumpkin.. make enough pumpkins for all kids..just fun not competitive..I envision lots of hysterical chaos

I might have a craft activity available too...still considering it.

Holli

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Holli, is this the party that will feature Love, Peace, and Happiness? How are the costumes coming?

What about a pumpkin hunt, like a egg hunt? I am sure you could buy little pumpkins, or you could use gourds that they could write on with markers to decorate? I know, a mess and you'll need to figure out how you can get something to stay on them. We don't have any pumpkins or I would go in the basement and test paints/markers.

What about making the old brown paper bag masks all decorated. You could cut the eyes etc before they come.

Nap time is over... happy planning.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I highly advise you take a look at a Pottery Barn Kids catalogue or go online to their site and check out their Halloween area. Also look at the Martha Stewart Living Halloween issue. Not that you have to buy any of the stuff these places show you, but the ideas are awesome. You only need a few of the elements to make a wonderful kids party. A couple of my own ideas for activities:

1. Make a Hansel & Gretel candy house
    2. Decorate carmel apples
    3. Roast marshmellows outside
    4. Goodie bags of inexpensive halloween board books (couple bucks a piece)
    5. Freeze dance to the Monster Mash or Purple People Eater
    6. For the parents, stick Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" in the mix somewhere.
    7. Invite me. Haha!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow! Love all these ideas. My DS turned three this week but we're having his birthday in about two weeks. We're doing an "itsy bitsy spider theme" and inviting all of his guests to come in costume. We are making spiders out of fruit with pretzel legs (my son is diabetic so we're trying to stay mostly healthy) and hanging cobwebs everywhere. A large part of our "entertainment" will be singing songs together but we will also be doing a halloween parade. My mom, a kindergarten teacher, suggested the idea of filming it and then showing the kids--they love seeing themselves on TV. I will likely be borrowing some of the ideas that you folks have set forth. Great thread!

sdbc Guest

"6. For the parents, stick Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" in the mix somewhere."

OMG, I love that song--I think it's one of the best songs written in the past 50 years! Although, I'm not sure about playing it for little kids... I guess toddlers wouldn't understand the lyrics, though...
    Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

holliam Guest

Yep!! :) Mari's is coming along quite nicely. Plus, we finally figured out what DH and I will be--puppies. So, the 3 of us together will be Puppy Love. :)

Happiness's parents will be "Campers" so together they will be "Happy Campers".

We're still working on convincing Peace's parents to be something other than the obvious hippies. I suggested many ideas that were so far vetoed. :P

Holli

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast