Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bee is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default How do I make a pirate vest for my son for Halloween?

I have the black felt and gold rick-rack to make the vest. Thought it would be so easy but I'm second guessing myself and sewing abilities. Of course I don't sew. My neighbor is letting me borrow her sewing machine.
    Where do I start with the pattern? I remember making the Thanksgiving vests out of paper bags when I was a child..can it be that easy?

Default RE: How do I make a pirate vest for my son for Halloween?

i'd be happy to help, but i think i need more specific questions. i am not sure what you are looking for. you cut out the pattern, then you sew the pieces together, then you turn it inside out to hide the seams.

do you know how to use a sewing machine?
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Yes, I cut the pattern and sew. My neighbor is going to help me with the sewing machine. I've never used one. I just need help with the pattern. I know about turning the seams inside out..etc
    Thanks for your help!

Do you have a pattern, and you need to know what to do with it, or are you looking for a pattern?

No I don't have a pattern. I need one.

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i believe that joanns has some that i saw. i have also ordered from here and have had good luck. http://www.smartcart.com/1sew/cgi/searchindex.cgi

in the search spot just type in pirate costume pattern :) then link doenst show the results i got for some reason.
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

There's kind of a tradeoff here. I sew, and if I, personally, was making a pirate vest for a small child, I would probably eyeball it. (After all, we're not talking about a fitted garment here -- you only need a maximum of two pattern pieces, one for the fronts and one for the back.) But I have some experience to work with. If you're brave, get out the paper bag, make a paper one, and try it on the kid (explain first that you need it back!) Then take it apart to use as a pattern. Remember to add on for the seams.

If you're not that brave, my next choice would be the library or a bookstore for a book on kid's costumes. It should have a simple sketch. Real pattern company patterns would be my last choice, because I find they're usually too elegant and fiddly for my patience.

Knowing me, what I'd *really* do is measure the kid from waist to shoulder and generously across the chest from armpit to armpit. I would then cut a rectangle that was the chest measurement wide, and 2x the waist-to-shoulder measurement long, plus a couple inches for the points. I would fold it at the waist-to-shoulder measurement, then fold it in half long ways and cut the points and scoop out some conservative armholes. Then I would put a pin a few inches towards the back from the fold across the shoulders, unfold the whole thing, refold it long ways, cut up the middle of the front and make a conservative keyhole for the neckline. Put on child, possibly with pins on side seams, recut whatever looks not generous enough, sew side seams, sew on rick-rack as desired, realize too late that some of the rick-rack would have been easier to sew on before side seams when I wasn't sure where I wanted it yet.

There's kind of a tradeoff here. I sew, and if I, personally, was making a pirate vest for a small child, I would probably eyeball it. (After all, we're not talking about a fitted garment here -- you only need a maximum of two pattern pieces, one for the fronts and one for the back.) But I have some experience to work with. If you're brave, get out the paper bag, make a paper one, and try it on the kid (explain first that you need it back!) Then take it apart to use as a pattern. Remember to add on for the seams.

If you're not that brave, my next choice would be the library or a bookstore for a book on kid's costumes. It should have a simple sketch. Real pattern company patterns would be my last choice, because I find they're usually too elegant and fiddly for my patience.

Knowing me, what I'd *really* do is measure the kid from waist to shoulder and generously across the chest from armpit to armpit. I would then cut a rectangle that was the chest measurement wide, and 2x the waist-to-shoulder measurement long, plus a couple inches for the points. I would fold it at the waist-to-shoulder measurement, then fold it in half long ways and cut the points and scoop out some conservative armholes. Then I would put a pin a few inches towards the back from the fold across the shoulders, unfold the whole thing, refold it long ways, cut up the middle of the front and make a conservative keyhole for the neckline. Put on child, possibly with pins on side seams, recut whatever looks not generous enough, sew side seams, sew on rick-rack as desired, realize too late that some of the rick-rack would have been easier to sew on before side seams when I wasn't sure where I wanted it yet.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Got to www.michaels.com/costumes and they have a very easy no sew pirate costume there. You basically cut up a couple t shirts and glue on the details.

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
    BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
    (Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wanted this costume for my older son SOOO Bad... only problem is that it won't fit him! He has a big ol cast on from breaking his arm and the pants would be too tight I think! I contacted the seller but she only had a pattern up to a 5-6 size! BUMMER! I really need to learn how to sew.... gotta enroll in a class or find someone to teach me!

Here check it out for ideas anyways!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0035925517&id=

HTH's you!

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05