Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Oh, expletive. How do you get red dye out of white clothes?

It's the usual story — something red snuck into a load of laundry it should have been in, and now I'm kicking myself. Even though I noticed it before the washer was even full and took the red thing out, drained the water, and ran it again with non-pink water, everything in there is pink now. :(

How can I get this out?

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Oh, expletive. How do you get red dye out of white clothes?

I haven't tried it, but it seems like this Rit item would be worth a try....
    http://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Powder.../dp/B0001DTCUU

Traci
    ~Mom to DS 02/2004~
    Hoping, waiting...

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would rerun the laundry with a dye catcher sheet and some Clorox 2. I have been amazed at how well the dye catcher thingies actually work!

HTH

Thanks, ladies! I only spotted the "ruined laundry" thread after I posted this one, and read about the Rit color remover there. I've got a load running with that and a color catcher sheet now (after a quick run to the store) — fingers crossed!

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Let us know if it works for you. I recently used some stuff called Simple Solution, which is for cat pee stain/odor removal, to successfully remove bright red and blue frosting stains from our carpet.

Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

So far it seems to be working on everything except one waffle weave shirt. I'll keep you posted on its outcome; I may have to experiment on that one.

jgiovagn Guest

Get that RIT dye remover...worked wonders!

How funny that we both did this within days of each other!

Jean

Default Oops, I did it too!

So I bought DS some cute xmas clothes at the Carter's outlet last week, and had a brain freeze moment when I washed them (put all red items together, including the ones just with red trim). I now have a pink sweater with red trim that was supposed to be for DS's six month pics and also a pink Baby's 1st xmas onesie.
    Can you use the RIT stuff on things that have colored trim and/or designs on them or is it strictly for all-white things? I've re-washed them about 4 times already with the Shout color-catcher sheets and the sheets are still picking up pink, but the clothes don't seem to be getting noticeably whiter. Help!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

I've also used Carbona Color Run Remover twice successfully, sold in the laundry aisle. It does stink while in use (not once the laundry is finished). In one case, I had put a dark green cotton blanket in white yellow towels, which then turned yellowish green. The run remover did significantly lighten some of the yellow towels, however.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

jgiovagn Guest

When it happened to me I used the Rit dye remover on the colored clothes. It DID fade the color a bit, which I didn't report earlier. But there was no way she could have worn those pink clothes.

And there's something else I didn't report..I did it AGAIN! I thought I had isolated the offending item, but apparently NOT. I was seething (at myself). Talk about explicatives! And this time I used the dye remover, I didn't let the washer fill all the way up first before putting the clothes in and there must have been a clump of the undisolved dye still in there and I TOTALLY ruined most of the clothes (the Gymboree and Hanna, of COURSE). It looks like the clothers were tye-dyed, and not in a good way.

I almost came back on and warned everyone about following the instructions exactly, but was too embarrassed that I had been a double moron. So anyway, now that the thread is alive again, make sure you allow the RIT to completely disolve first. And no, I promise I won't wash anything red with the other clothes ever again.

Jean