neeter is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Ham questions...!

Ok this is a little dumb, but I'm thinking ahead to Thanksgiving dinner and all I want is ham! But I don't know how it works!!

If I get one from Costco, is it precooked and all I do is heat it up? Or if I get one from Heavenly Ham, do I get it warm or do I also heat it up?

Also, who has the tastiest ham? We received one that was pre-frozen as a gift last year and it was soooo salty! I was disappointed. I'm determined to get it right this year!!

TIA!

juliasmom05 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Ham questions...!

We don't live near a Costco, so I can't help you there, but I have always been a fan of HoneyBaked hams. They are not cheap, but they are yummy :P. They come ready to serve, so all you have to do is heat it up.

http://www.honeybaked.com/products.asp

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Most of the honeybaked/spiral hams are the heat and serve type. They ususally come with some sort of glaze packet for you to mix up and put on the outside of the ham.

It's quite easy.

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our family has tried other brands and we ALWAYS come back to Honeybaked Ham! It is just the best tasting Ham! We usually do the Turkey Hot and the Ham room temp out with the appetizers/cheese etc. and then we all have Ham sandwiches the next day on french rolls... YUM!

http://www.honeybaked.com/

~Tondi

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

WE go to Heavenly Ham, simply becuase it is nearby.

I recall the directions say to serve room temp OR heated- we prefer room temp as it doesn't get a change to dry out. And you don't even need to turn on the oven!

Thanks for all your responses! Now I think I know what to do. I can't wait! :)

You can buy a Honey Baked Ham or other type from a ham store, but it wil be several times more expensive than if you just got it from the grocery store. I personally don't think the taste is worth the extra cost, but that is just me. I know other people would never have their holiday without their Honey Baked Ham ham.

I like the Mickelbury and Kretchmeyer (sp?) hams in my local store. Ask one of the butchers for advice on which one you should get. Make sure you get a fully cooked boneless one. It will say on the package. Select your ham, and ask the butcher to cut and tie it up for you. **** make sure you tell them it is for dinner and to cut it thick not shaved!!!!!!!*********
    Buy some marchino cherries, pineapple rings, brown sugar, toothpicks and cloves. The day of: add cloves, pineapples and cherries to the top of the ham (using toothpicks if you need to). Pack brown sugar on top of it. Tent tightly with foil so it won't dry out. Follow the reheating direction on the package. You can also buy pre-packaged glaze.

BTW in the midwest ham is never on sale during Thanksgiving, it is always cheap at X-mas. So if you make this at X-mas you can save over $40 from the HBH store price.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Thanks Karin - love your suggestion and directions!! Maybe I can do this sometime soon, and save the HBH for Xmas! Thanks again!

We get our hams in Virginia, which is practically the ham capital of the world, so you might have to do a little more searching, but we're home to both Gwaltney and Smithfield ham and pork companies, so we get great hams (almost better than HoneyBaked Ham and Heavenly Ham). We get the Smithfield or Gwaltney (in the gold or red foil wrapper with black netting on the outside) spiral sliced, glazed hams with bone in. I think the bone adds so much more flavor to the meat when they cook it. Just turn it on its side and pull slices right off the bone. We warm ours covered in the oven with a little water in the bottom of the glass pan for about 35 minutes on 325 degrees. It's an art to not make it dry, but we've been doing it for over a decade now. I checked out the website for Smithfield and it appears they are pretty expensive to have them shipped, but in the high end grocery stores we pay about $1.49/lb-$1.99/lb, and usually somewhere in between. Our average ham costs $14-19. Some hams already have the glaze rubbed on the outside, others have a packet you cut open and rub onto the sides and under the first few slices. When you're done, the ham bone makes great ham stock for lentils and stew.

Larissa