purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default sewing machines-what do I look for?

Hello sewing experts!

I am in the market for a new machine, since I am currently using my mother's kenmore from circa 1972-which means I am used to a non-computerized, no-frills machine. I am also a complete sewing novice! :) I plan to do very simple stuff-blankets, maybe some house-y stuff (pillows for DS's room, maybe curtains) so I don't need a lot of specialty features. That being said, I do want to become more experienced and able to do more creative things, so I may need some specialty features! ;)

So, what do I need to know? When it says computerized, what does that mean?

Oh, I am looking to spend no more than $250 and I plan to buy online or from a fabric store or sewing machine dealer.

TIA!!

Beth
    B

DS
    DD

Default RE: sewing machines-what do I look for?

Thanks for posting this. I think I'm going to ask for a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm really new to this. I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Your best bet is to go to a small or speciality sewing store and ask them to explain all of these things. When I bought my machine, it came with a couple of classes on how to use it.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

here's a recent thread on this:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search

I'm a beginning sewer and my mom gave me a Kenmore 385.15212 two years ago for Christmas. I want it for mending, curtains, seat cushions, an occasional Halloween costume, stuff like that. Not clothes. Anyway, I took a beginning sewing class and the teacher complimented mine as a pretty good basic macine. I got it with a carrying case, which makes it easy and neat to pack up and store in a closet., take to class, etc.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I bought a Babylock Denimpro, which cost about that much. I just posted about it in the Crafts forum.

Kris

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was the one that started that earlier thread. I LOVE my Bernina. It IS more than the amount you want to spend, but when I was researching machines, the theme I heard over and over was that mechanical machines of years ago (like 20-30) are wonderful for beginners because 1) They are easy to figure out and use, 2) They are workhorses and last forever. I DO find my machine to be very easy to figure out. Everytime I can't remember how to do something I look back at the manual. And if something isn't going right I've always been able to figure out why without breaking it because there are so few moving parts that eventually the answer is staring right at you.

Computerized simply means that in order to select stitches (like different zigzags and embroidery styles) you press the buttons for the correct stitch, rather than move a mechanical level or turn a knob.

So far I've done some mending, made Dora's Halloween costume, and made a sleep sack with my machine, and I love it. For the first time in my life I actually feel competent sewing.

There are brands other than Bernina that also have the "workhorse" type machine mentioned in the thread. Different stores are licensed dealers of one or two brands. The store I went to was independently owned by a couple who also refurbished old machines for resale. So you might want to check out that route.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/