Default 39 Weeks Pregnant & have a Bad Cold-Can I take any medicine?

Subject basically says it all - anyone know of anything that could help a very
    pregnant, very congested girl out? TIA.

Danielle, Mom to Alex, 12.03.01 and Brian, 7.27.03

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: 39 Weeks Pregnant & have a Bad Cold-Can I take any medicine?

http://www.safefetus.com/index.htm

You might want to put a call into your OB and ask them. Tylenol is ok and of course unmedicated saline nasal spray. I used Alkolol when I was pregnant with #2.... it's a mucous solvent that you sniff and spit out (sounds nasty and it's kinda harsh feeling but it does help clear things up!). Some pharmacies have it behind the counter or can order it for you!

http://www.alkalolcompany.com/

Good steamy showers, hot chicken noodle soup. sometimes a good hot and sour soup from a chinese restraunt is helpfull too!!!! Hope you feel better soon! Good Luck

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I feel your pain!! I am 33 weeks pregnant and have been fighting a terrible cold all week. I have been taking regular Sudafed for my congestion and Extra Strength Tylenol for the pain (mostly a sore throat).

I saw my OB on probably the worst day of the cold, and she said that what I was taking was good- separate Sudafed and Tylenol- to stay away from "cold remedy" pills (even the Tylenol Cold & Sinus was a no-no). She did give me a prescription for Ambien (the sleeping pill) since there weren't any antibiotics that would help. She's a wonderful woman!!!!

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon :)

KCR4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I get sinus infections when I'm pregnant. The only thing that helped was antibiotics and steam showers. You can try taking the "chest congestion" remedy - the ingredient starts with gua- something or other. There is a robitussin for it. It thins the mucus without making it thicker - like a decongestant does. The drainage was awful and that is what causes the bad sore throat. I was just miserable. I had to use Ambien too, the sleeping pill, to get some rest. I had three sinus infections with my last pregnancy!
    Good luck -
    Karen

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm 29w and have had a horrible cold (DD has pneumonia) for 10 days. I have an appointment with my OB on Tuesday (regular appt) and I already know what he's going to say. Tylenol. Neocitran. Steam.

He told me last month (when I had another horrible cold, thanks DD) no cold meds other than above.

Sigh.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

katiesmommy Guest

I had the same problem when I was pregnant, my (nurse) aunt told me that I could take tylenol, regular sudafed, and regular robitussin if you have a cough. HTH.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My OB hands out a standard list of meds. Basically, plain Sudafed, Tylenol, Robatussin etc. No antihistamines. They also said to watch out because all the "Cold Formulas" have recently reformulated so they don't have to be behind the counter and the ingredient they replaced the Sudafed with is not good.

Anyway, call your OB and the nurse should be able to tell you what things are OK.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

In addition to Robitussin, Tylenol, and Halls cough drops, I've been using Vicks Vapor Rub at night (per doctor's recommendation). I think it's helped a bit. I hope you feel better soon!

At 39 weeks, I believe you can pretty much take anything to help a cold. When I was 39 weeks pregnant with my daughter, I had a really bad sinus infection and bronchitis, and I came home from the doctor with a whole slew of drugs.

Obviously check with your doctor before you take anything, but I wouldn't worry too much about anything you take. That baby is fully cooked.