Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    deannamorrison Guest

Default Is law school totally out of reach for me?

Ok..here is the short version..I'm 33 and still working on earning a BA in Psychology. I should have it in hand by Spring 2008. My grades throughout the years have ranged from poor to mediocre to stellar. I feel that I am articulate and intelligent enough to practice law...is law school out of the question?

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Is law school totally out of reach for me?

I don't think that anything is out of reach if it is something that you want to do. I think that if you want it, you should go for it!
    Kim

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Depends on which school you want to go to, in terms of marks. As for jobs post-graduation, I will say that there is definitely a bias in terms of hiring young bucks at the top firms. That isn't to say that mature students can't find work, but all other things being equal, it seems that a lot of firms prefer younger hires that they can "mold".

Having said all that, if law is something you really want to do, go for it. Make sure all your grades from now to graduation are As if possible and get a stellar LSAT.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

What are your expectations? Here's my $.02: you can do it.

My mom went to law school at 41. Her oldest a freshman in college, I was 12, and my younger brother was 4. She went part time at night to a non-ABA accredited law school. She practiced law for 12 years and then retired. She started after being laid off from the banking business. She had been doing that for 16 years.

Here are things to think about. Law school requires a huge time commitment. Your DH will have to help or you will have to hire full time help. My dad was home every night, but my grandparents lived w/us (b/c they were in pretty bad shape) and their caretaker lived w/us too. It was the toughest time financially for my dad b/c he was paying for my mom and my older brother's schooling. I remember the almost foreclosure on our house several times.

I think you can do whatever you set out to do, but you have to know what you're getting yourself into. I went to law school for one year part time in my early 20's and it wasn't for me.

Good luck w/your decision.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you worked in the field at all? You might want to get a "regular" job at the type of place you would be interested in and see how you like that. Most of the lawyers I know don't exactly love their jobs.

Also, you might look into library school with an eye towards being a law librarian. Not sure about the outlook for that specialty, though, so I would do some research. Library school is a shorter time commitment. Not to mention cheaper.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

No. My dad started law school at age 54.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

Hi. Like a previous poster said...if you really want to go to law school...then I am sure you can find a way to make it happen. I am a lawyer (although switched career fields a few years ago to get more flexibility, and do not currently practice...but still pay those bar dues every year just in case I go back :)).

The first part of your question goes toward "getting in." As prevously posted, you need to make sure your grades from this point forward are stellar and you also need to try to rock the LSAT. I would say that when the time comes...a prep course will be a must. Most law schools, like many undergrad programs, are "ranked" into tiers and so the requirements for each law school you are considering may vary (ex. minimum LSAT score, minimum undergraduate GPA, activities, work experience, etc). Many people identify their first choice school, a middle ground school and a safety or two. A local library should have resources that can help you learn about the requirements/standards for different schools.

A few things to note:
    Law school does take a TREMENDOUS amount of time. The law school I went to frowned on and basically forbade first years from having outside jobs during the school year. Moreover, a part time class schedule was not an option. That first year can be a real grind, but it can also be incredibly rewarding.

Do you know what about the law appeals to you? I loved law school, but I found I did not love practicing law.

Regarding age...yes, some top firms do tend to like the younger guns. However, I have seen many success stories of new lawyers graduating from law school in their 40s+ do very well and have great careers. Again, depending on whether you envision practicing with a firm or government practice...things like partnership tracks/promotional opportunities, etc. can vary greatly. For example, the firm I was with had a 10 year partnership track with a standard expectation of at least 2000 billable hours per year. (I found it very surprising how I could be at work for 10-12 hours in one day, but only be able to "count" 7 or so hours as billable).

Another consideration may be paralegal school. You could certainly attain a paralegal degree in 1/3 the time of a law degree and also be able to work in the field to get your feet wet to decide if you really like it. I have a lot of friends who are lawyers and about half of them have now segued into different fields and are no longer practicing law. The ones who are full time attorneys do love what they do, but it is interesting how many of us did not find the day to day practicing as a good fit.

Whatever you decide...good luck! If you decide that you want to pursue it...I am sure that you can find a way to make it happen. Plus, there are many law schools out there these days that do offer more flexible part-time programs. HTH Heather

Heather:

Mommy to DD (2005) and DS (2007)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

To be a law librarian you need to have your librarian masters (2 yrs) AND your law degree, so it is more study. I was a law librarian in Australia (no law degree required), and I worked at UCLA Law Library pre-DS. I was the exception not having a law degree, but I had a librarian masters, knowldege of the British Commonwealth's legal systems and IT technical skills, so they made an exception. You can work in a library without library masters, but your career path will be limited.

Nicci

shilo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

not law related, but my closest friend in grad school (physical therapy) started the program at 44. she was 47 when we graduated. her youngest was a freshman in high school when we started, and her oldest was done with school and deployed with the military and her middle child was in undergrad. she did very well in the full time program, and would joke that she had twice as much homework as her kids at night (and on the weekends). i think bottom line, you can find a way to make it work, but you'll need to work out the logistics to make it fit in with where your family is out when you get there. she and her husband built up his business thru their 30's. by their 40's, it was her 'turn' as she would say. if you do go FT, you'll probably need to be at a point where law school is your full time job and then some. grad school for me was averaged 65-70hrs/week between class, labs and homework. my sister just finished law school at a top 20 school and easily averaged at least that. like pp's said, i think it's more about figuring out what/why you want it and then setting about finding a way to make it work. good luck! you can do it :).

lori
    Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

I haven't read others advice, but here is my 2 cents:

I was a government major undergrad and I had one professor who I loved. He was a lawyer who worked for years on Capitol Hill. He would always tell us there is a law school for everyone and anyone. There is always a law school that will take you. It might not be Harvard Law, but it will get you a law degree. That said, he would also point out that it is a big expense and if you don't go to Harvard or some top school, you aren't likely to be snatched up by a big-wig firm right away so those loans will take a LONG time to pay back. But, if knowing that you still want to persue it, GO FOR IT! You will have a great degree and get to help lots of people.

Also, you should ROCK the LSATs and then you will be able to get into a higher ranked school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast