veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default When to transition from baby mattress if ever??

DD just turned one and DC#2 is coming in July so do I buy another colgate classica or pass the first one to DC and buy DD a "toddler mattress" since she will be 19 months? I guess I have it in my head that a mattress should last for years but is the colgate too hard. Her crib converts to a toddler bed by just taking the rail down so she will not be needing a different size mattress or anything new at that point.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: When to transition from baby mattress if ever??

You are not supposed to re-use a crib mattress for a new baby. So I would let your DD keep their mattress (is she complaining that it is too hard or something? Just because it feels firm to us doesn't mean it is uncomfortable for them, kwim?). Then get a mattress for the new baby. At least, that's what I have read and what I am doing (just bought mattress #2 for the new baby this week).
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

we're getting DS his own new mattress. DD will stay on hers until she is out of the toddler bed and onto a full size bed.

i don't think you're supposed to "share" mattresses from one kid to another...i think it's a SIDS risk, maybe? anyway...we're getting DS a new one...
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd want to see some good research on not reusing a crib mattress. I don't recall it being on the list of things on the SIDS' websites. I am one for those kind of rules and guidelines but I would really want some good resources to back up that recommendation. Anyone have any? I'll try google later but thought I would ask here 1st in case someone had a link handy. :)

I do not think a toddler needs a new mattress. There is nothing wrong with firm mattresses. If a new baby weren't in the mix then it would be perfectly simple to just say keep using that mattress till this little one is ready for a real bed. :)

ETA: I started Googling and ran across a brief discussion of the pros/ cons of the study that suggested higher correlation SIDS from reused mattresses. I found it helpful, especially when compared with the idea that an older mattress will have had more time to "off gas" (which, in my unscientific opinion, may matter more):
    http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/s...bmattress.html
    Did not see anything on the SIDS' Alliance page on first read through.

Beth

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do not reuse the mattress. The standard safety standard is to buy a new one. They're not expensive, but if you're trying to save money, that's not the place to do it. There's a big section in Baby Bargains and Baby 411, I think, too, if you're interested.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Can you reuse a mattress if it's never actually been used in the first place? We've failed miserably with getting DS to sleep on his own and the crib has not seen anything more than maybe two 30 minute naps total (so an hour of sleep time). DS sleeps in bed with us and always has. Do I still have to buy a whole new mattress for the next one, assuming that I'll have better luck with getting the next one to sleep?
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, we are reusing the crib mattress with DS2. DS1 used it for 3.25 years, and now DS2 is using it. It is still very firm and it in excellent shape (it is a Colgate, too). DS1 slept great on it for the entire 3.25 years - no complaints from him whatsoever.

With that age span, I'd buy a second crib with a new mattress for the second baby and leave the first baby with her crib/mattress combo for a while longer.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009