KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default The fit of jeans...

is driving me nuts. I found a pair that looks really good and fit well. After wearing them for an hour, they've stretched and are now on the big side.

So, do I buy a smaller size and squeeze in in the morning?

Or, do I wash them 3 times a day :)?

Or, do I have to wear a belt? I hate belts.

What to do?
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: The fit of jeans...

Sales' person at the Gap and my friend said to buy the pair that is a tighter fit initially if they contain any spandex or lycra. I was skeptical but I couldn't imagine buying them any bigger. By mid afternoon I am tugging the smaller pair up sometimes.

I rewear jeans a few times before washing them so they stay nice, loose and comfy for a bit. ;)

You could look for jeans without any of the stretchy stuff. They'd probably stay truer to size.

My SIL and I just had this talk the other day. She says she always goes with the bigger size. After seeing how often she has to readjust her jeans-and how much of her back is exposed- I feel like I made the right choice to go with the smaller ones.

Love buying the jeans at the Gap b/c you could wash and wear the jeans for like 2 weeks and still return them. I never tried that but it was nice to know that option existed. I know they changed their return policy recently but I think they still let you do that.

Beth- who despise the fit of jeans as well.

shilo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

oh, that stinks. you could look and see if you have a local tailor or dry cleaner that has reasonable prices on taking in the waist of the jeans. i find that some that have a small gap at the beginning of the day tend to stretch out way too much by the end of the day without doing this. my local tailors and dry cleaners were all charging $12-20/pair :( for this which i thought was absurd, so i took in the waist of most of my jeans myself. i'm sure it's not a professional looking alteration, but i did it by opening the waist band, taking a dart on either side above my butt (about an inch wide by 2.5inches long on each side), shortening the waistband and equal length and then sewing it back down. you can barely see it by the time your shirt is over it.

sorry about your new jeans. i'd be bummed too. lori
    Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think I read somewhere in one of those "what to wear" thingys that any stretch material is not ideal in jeans. Maybe you do need to try a smaller size and then just do some deep knee bends in the morning :)

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I learned at the Gap once that different jeans have different % of stretch in the fabric maybe ranging 1-3%, so you'll want one with very low stretch if you can find it.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.