chiqanita Guest

Default Anyone do the gifts of the Epiphany for their little ones?

Just curious if anyone has a tradition around this date that they can share, including the types of gifts the Wise Men leave for your home or children.
    TIA

Found this on Wikipedia:
    "Traditions of the Epiphany
    Christianity celebrates the Magi on the day of Epiphany, January 6, the last of the twelve days of Christmas, particularly in the Spanish-speaking parts of the world. In these Spanish-speaking areas, the three kings (Sp. "los Reyes Magos de Oriente", also "Los Tres Reyes Magos", receive wish letters from children and magically bring them gifts on the night before Epiphany. According to the tradition, the Magi come from the Orient on their camels to visit the houses of all the children; much like the Northern European Santa Claus with his reindeer, they visit everyone in one night. In some areas, children prepare a drink for each of the Magi, it is also traditional to prepare food and drink for the camels, because this is the only night of the year when they eat.
    Spanish cities organize cabalgatas in the evening, in which the kings and their servants parade and throw sweets to the children (and parents) in attendance. The cavalcade of the three kings in Alcoi claims to be the oldest in the world; the participants who portray the kings and pages walk through the crowd, giving presents to the children directly.
    In France and Belgium, the holiday is celebrated with a special tradition: within a family, a cake is baked which contains one single bean. Whoever gets the bean is "crowned" king for the remainder of the holiday.
    This tradition also exists in Spain, but with one small variant; the cake, in this case actually a ring-shaped pastry or Roscón de Reyes, is most commonly bought, not baked, and it contains a small figurine of a Magus and a dry broad bean. The one who gets the figurine is crowned, but whoever gets the bean has to pay the value of the cake to the person that originally bought it.
    A tradition in some Polish (Slavic) homes involves writing the initials of the three kings above the main door of the home to confer blessings on the occupants for the New Year. For example, K + M + B 2007.*

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone do the gifts of the Epiphany for their little ones?

I have always celebrated Chrsitmas from 12/25 to 1/6 and not 11/30-12/25. In the Catholic Church, there is a big celebration on Epiphany and at our church that takes the shape of a big community meal. Last year we roasted up a couple of big turkeys to bring and others bring turkeys and all the other side dishes and trimmings. Church members come, as do people from nearby shelters and community groups. I also usually give Toby a present ot 2 that day as well. The tree comes down the night of the 6th or the morning of the 7th. When we were kids, my parents made us read aloud a lot of stuff about the magi but I am not keeping that tradition up.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Growing up we didn't celebrate especially, we knew the Wise Men didn't arrive until Epiphany but didn't really consider that Christmas. DH's family did so we now keep our Christmas decorations/tree up until Jan6. We haven't done DS's stocking yet and discussed waiting until Epiphany to do it. That would tie in nicely with the above.

The bean cake sounds similar to the King Cake at Mardi Gras.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

We do the same as Katie.
    Growing up Epiphany was reserved for our "big" present but we (dh and I) just give a little something (for now, anyway).
    We also do the baby in the bread (like the bean in the cake). Whoever gets it has to host the Epiphany party the following year. That was a tradition we started following in respect to my SFIL, who is Mexican.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.