nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Has anyone had a toddler who vomited once and then was fine?

In a nutshell:
    -DD had croup last week, did the course of oral steroids and it went away.
    -Has had a lingering cold since before then.
    -DH got a stomach bug yesterday full-force (vomiting and diarrhea was bad yesterday but much better today)
    -DD got dx with an ear infection this afternoon and will be starting antibiotics tomorrow morning.

So after the drs. appt. where the ear infection was dx (and I was not expecting it at all, she's been pretty much her normal self with a runny nose, but last time she had croup she had an ear infection so I wanted to make sure either way), we went to Walgreens to drop off the scrip and then came home. 5 minutes after we get in the door DD throws up what seems to be quite a bit of milk/water mixed with some of her lunch. She cried because she was scared- it was her first time throwing up ever!- but then was fine and a half hour later she ate a 1/2 banana and 1/2 piece of buttered bread with water for dinner. Went to bed at her normal time and is still asleep now.
    When I ran back out to pick up the prescription I picked up some pedialyte stuff. Everything I've been reading about vomiting is if they are doing it a lot. Has anyone's toddler just thrown up randomly one time and then been fine? I'm so afraid she will wake up in the middle of the night and vomit all over herself and her crib bedding. I don't know what to do! Also, no fever, though I did give her some tylenol before bed to be on the safe side.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: Has anyone had a toddler who vomited once and then was fine?

Yes, but then she came down with a cold/flu 2 days later, which morphed into pneumonia. Here, is is a 'Christmas daycare cold/flu' that starts with the kid throwing up, no fever, then 2 days later, a cold with fever. DD didn't have the 24hrs of vomitting that the other kids had, but only threw up once.

Hope she's feeling better soon!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS2 has thrown up quite a few times in the past year from various problems, but the few times it was a one-off deal was when he had a lot of mucous/phlegm from a cold. Because the mucous wasn't being expelled through his nose, he would end up swallowing it and every once in a while he would cough and gag and vomit. I never resorted to pedialyte in those cases. I stuck with the BRAT diet as best as possible until I could prove that he could keep the food down. I also gave him water and the odd freeze-pop if he had a sore throat (as he had last week). It sounds like your DD is keeping the banana and toast down. Don't stress about tonight - you migh want toget some sleep while you can on the chance that she does wake up feeling worse, but there is no point in worrying about the what-ifs :)

Good luck,

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

amyff Guest

I can answer Yes!

Last week, my youngest daughter (18 months) woke up in the morning "singing"...I went into her room and her blanket was plastered/stuck to her face. She had thrown up all over herself...her crib...her bedding in the middle of the night and fell back to sleep. It was very scary for me but after I cleaned her and everything up...I noticed she was just fine. She did not have a fever and she "acted" very healthy the whole day we spent at home.

Good luck! I hope she is feeling better, soon!

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes. Spent a long time wondering if it was really just the once, but he ended up going to daycare and was fine all day!

Middle of the night sheet changes are never fun... might want to have a stash of towels just in case.

And I wouldn't worry about Pedialyte just yet. Since she had food and water -- if she keeps it down, I don't think you'll need it at all.
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, DD has done this a bunch of times in her toddler days and she was always just fine.

-Once in the middle of the night, but she didn't make a sound over the monitor and woke up a mess but in a great mood. We never did figure out why she threw up.

-Several times, we guessed that she overate. She'd throw up a little while after a really big meal, would cry because she was a mess, but would be normal and happy as soon as she got cleaned up.

-Several times at the tail end of a cold when all the mucus she swallowed made her throw up.

Some children just have more sensitive stomachs. As long as DD was in a good mood afterwards, I never worried.
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, the good news is no more throwing up! DD slept through the night as usual. When she woke up she seemed a little under the weather so we stayed home from Gymboree. She is really constipated right now (crying as she is trying to poop). I tried the thermometer trick and she drank a bunch of water and ate some raisins (refused baby food prunes and I don't have any other stuff in the house right now that would help). She went down for an early nap so hopefully she will poop upon waking but if not we will run out to Walmart for some juice, suppositories, MOM, etc. because this is another first for us! What gives with DD suddenly getting every malady possible in such a short time span? Ugh! Of course I had given her some banana last night and again for breakfast because I didn't realize she was constipated. So now I feel guilty too! I just hate to see my little one not feeling well.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010