Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    laurena Guest

Default OT: What do you do with your gingerbread house when you're done with it?

Have never made one before and now I'm tired of looking at it taking up space on my counter. Do I just throw it in the garbage? Or should I use it to feed birds and squirrels? I feel badly about the amount of sugar, though. It seems so silly to make it to now just throw it out. Need to reconsider making it an annual tradition.

I'm sure the answer is to throw it out (duh), but I feel strangely guilty about it.

Thanks!

Lauren

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: OT: What do you do with your gingerbread house when you're done with it?

I threw ours out. Yep, I felt guilty, too, and had to be sure the kids didn't see it or they would've felt bad about all their hard work. But as they say, out of sight, out of mind, and they never realized it was gone.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
    Benjamin 8-03
    Marco 12-05

shilo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: OT: What do you do with your gingerbread house when you're done with it?

the thought totally grosses me out now, but we used to take ours into our classes in elementary school and they would get broken apart/eaten. not even sure if schools would let you do this now a days with all the rules about pre-packaged stuff and food sensativities/allergies. many a classmate would ask what day the house was coming in to get torn into as soon as we got back from xmas break.

lori
    Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I really don't seen it as something to eat, just a craft project. Take a picture and chuck it!

I took the one we made to my mom's house. It was my first ever so I'll have to ask her if they ate it or not. It was made with icing and candy so I don't see why it wouldn't be edible.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
    http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
    http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 01-12-2010 at 12:39 PM.

I felt badly throwing ours away as well because it was very large and we made such a production about it this year (videotaping, etc)....but the time had come to get rid of it so it went in the trash.
    Heather:

Mommy to DD (2005) and DS (2007)

laurena Guest

I took plenty of pictures and now it's in the garbage. Such a lame question, but I just felt so guilty about it. I'll make a much smaller one next year so the guilt won't be so big. :)

Thanks for the replies!

edited for spelling.

You mean you didn't eat half of it 2 weeks after you put it up? That is totally why I did not do one this year. When the gingerbread is fresh and it's not a family project w/ lots of sets of hands all over the candy, it tastes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! By the time Christmas came there were about two walls and a roof left w/ hardly a drop of candy. All that time spent rolling out jelly candies and expertly piping out the decorations for a Swiss Chalet.....my Dh called it the house Hansel & Gretel found where the witch wasn't home! But once Christmas passed, we chucked it. It was gross.

This year....while I was tempted to make one, I knew better. I'd toss it by now.

barbarhow Guest

Don't feel guilty about it. Would you eat cookies and icing that had been left on the counter for 2 weeks? No? Then toss it and call it a day. Or chuck it outside and give the birds a high energy snack.

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I tossed it when I realized that DS was sneaking quietly into the kitchen and eating off all the candy decorations. Just what he needed...MORE sugar-fueled mania!
    Cindy, Mommy to DS 2/04 and DS 2/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast