Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    chiqanita Guest

Default 3 Things about you...

It's 2007 and I can honestly say that I 'speak' to all of you as much as anyone else in my 'real' life. Except for DH of course but even that isn't the same as the stuff that goes on here. I wonder about your screen names and how you chose them (if it's different than your given). I also wondered what you're really like.

So, humor me, if you will, and tell me 3 things about yourself:

a. What does your screen name mean?

b. What type of first impression do you think you give?

c. Other than parenting your sweet little ones what else do you like to do?

Me first,

a. My screen name is Chiqanita (pronounced Chee-caw-nee-tah) which is a combination of my two nicknames: Chiquita + Anita.
    b. The first impression I think I give is that I'm friendly and approachable. Especially now that I'm starved for adult interaction/conversation. Once I was told that I seemed serious and mean. Very surprising because I don't see myself that way. So, I try to always smile at everyone I come across whether they smile or not.
    c. Here is just a little about what the things I like to do: I love to read, listen to music (listened to the Eagles all day today), used to love to give myself fancy manicures & pedicures but no time these dayas, watch old/classic movies on TCM, I'm also a lover of 'the past'. I love to learn about small old towns and its first citizens. I love stained/colored glass but mostly the type you find on old homes and churches. Oh, and I love to watch American Idol and the Roloff family on TLC.

Your turn. ;)

VClute is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: 3 Things about you...

Oooh! I'll play!

1) VClute is a derivative of my maiden name - It's Dutch. Like Vanderbilt, but without the money! :)

2) I've been told by a NUMBER of people that I can come off on first meeting as a snobbish know-it-all. I've had many people (all women) tell me "You know, I used to HATE you - but now I see that you're really nice and funny!" ?! Now I try to compliment EVERYONE I MEET. I don't make the stuff up, either - I just say the first nice thing that pops into my head about them - their hair, outfit, etc.

3) I like to read, too - but hardly ever get a chance to. I also am a FANATIC for childrens consignment sales and shops. I love to go thrifting, too, as long as DS isn't in tow. I used to go dancing a lot - now I just rock out in my minivan. I love my step class at the gym. And I used to travel all over the country judging cheerleading competitions. :)

Amy in NC
    mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
    ...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

>a. What does your screen name mean?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I *think* it is the name of a character in a science fiction novel. DH used this screen name once, and then I "stole" it from him because I liked the ambiguity at the time. I'm not in love with this screen name (never was), but since I've used it everywhere now (both here and elsewhere on the Net), I don't really feel like changing it.

>b. What type of first impression do you think you give?

By first impressions, do you mean here or IRL?

Here, I don't think I give off any type of first impression. If anything, I probably fade into the background. There are other posters here with seemingly much more interesting and funny personalities.

IRL, people have told me they think I come off as sweet and nice, but my DH will tell you otherwise! :P

>c. Other than parenting your sweet little ones what else do
    >you like to do?

I love gymnastics and going to different meets (both elite and collegiate). I love watching any type of dance. I LOVE to EAT. One of my biggest pleasures in life is going to different restaurants and trying all sorts of things. My dream job would be a restaurant critic, but 1) I don't know how to break into the biz, and 2) I'd gain way too much weight. I like to cook when I'm entertaining, but not so much the day-to-day type stuff. When I have some time, I also enjoy cross-stitching.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

too funny! i have ALWAYS thought it was SO annoying that you are Juuuuuuuuust too far away for us to hang out IRL because i like you so much!!!
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

double post! oopsie daisy!

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'll play too.

1--It is a combination of my maiden initials and my college (University of North Carolina Chapel Hill)

2--I think generally I come across as friendly, sometimes maybe reserved. I can be a quiet person (more when I was younger) and I think some people mistook that for being "snobby".

3--I love to read if I can find the time now! I also am addicted to American Idol and Dr. 90210 (hangs head in shame :)) I love music (when my 4 year old was 2 he started requesting the Eagles, Billy Joel and Neil Young), reading the newspaper, current events/politics and watching college sports.

Great topic. Can wait to read about everyone else!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ooo, fun thread!

a. My screen name is maestramommy. In my pre-Dora life I was an orchestra teacher. When I got my first job, my mentor teachers gave me a tool box with all sorts of things I'd need on the job (pliers, rosin, tiny screwdriver set, extra reeds, etc). They put a label on it with "maestro(lastname)". So I used that as a username for a while. When I got married and changed my last name, I changed maestro to maestra, since I AM a woman :-). It just came to me to use it when I joined up here.

b. I'm not really sure how I come across at first meeting, depends on who you are. My students used to think either I was 1) scary, or 2) very nice. Dh thought I was very proper, even prissy, though not in a bad way. He was pretty happy to find out I'm not always :-)

c. I love to read. That's been my lifelong hobby. Used to be mystery series, now I love when I have time to read an Atlantic Monthly article in its entirety. Some non-fiction, depending on the subject, and I LOVED reading articles about child social development when I was teaching. I still find it a fascinating subject. Recently I discovered sewing, so I would love to find some time to do another major project.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

>a. What does your screen name mean?

lizajane is the nickname my sister gave me when i was in 7th grade. i think it is catchy, so it was my email addy in college and is always my screen name. it is my business name, too. (well, with baby on the end because the .com was already taken by some weird industrial something or other... what a cutsey name for company like that!)
    >
    >b. What type of first impression do you think you give?
    online- honest, funny, TOO honest, maybe
    IRL- i think i am pretty warm. DH says i have this, "how does she do it all" air about me- as in, people think that about me. i don't know whether to laugh or cry that people think i am put together. i am the biggest mess of anyone i know and definitley the biggest mess i have ever been in my life.
    and people often think i am funny. and DEFINITLEY nutty- i talk really fast and a lot.
    >
    >c. Other than parenting your sweet little ones what else do
    >you like to do?

i love to sew. i love to create. i love to garden and work in the dirt. i love to watch movies. i love to drink wine with the gals and laugh. i love to gossip and chat and suddenly turn the conversation serious and really share. i love to run and feel fit and alive. i love to hold DH's hand when we walk. i love to try things on that make me look pretty, even if i can't afford them. i love to snuggle. (but i wish DH and DS1 didn't squirm so much!) i love to daydream and build my perfect house and decorate it in my head. i love to eat sugar!! lately, i love to shower all alone.

fun thread!

a. megs is my nn...almost no one who really knows me calls me
    'megan'...'cept the ILs...

b. IRL, i've been told i'm a bit too much...i'm quite talkative and kinda loud, but generally fun.

c. i love sports....and FOOD....love going out to eat w/ friends....love movies......and love spending time with DH (cheesy but true)
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

happy2bamom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This is fun, here goes:

1) The literal meaning for my screen name is self-explanatory. On a personal level, I chose it b/c I am finally at a point where I am truly happy to be a SAHM. Before my DC, I had a private practice. I felt pretty guilty for a long time about working so hard for my education and career and then choosing to be a SAHM. I am now at peace with my decision, and wanted to symbolize that in my screen name.

2) Friends have told me that I seem snobby at first. I am working on that, and really make an effort to be more outgoing with people.

3) Before my DC, I made stained glass, went jogging, got pedicures and facials whenever it fit into my schedule. (I hope to do all of those things again someday) Currently I enjoy reading (mostly fiction), watching Lost, online scrapbooking, hanging out with my friends, shopping for bargains, going out to eat, and my all-time favorite hobby right now is ....sleeping in (that is my Saturday treat)
    Kelli
    Proud mama to Biggy & Redball

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast