Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lasik/laser eye surgery -- share horror or success stories

I can't wear contacts anymore and I'd love to not be so dependent on my glasses. When I read about Lasik I get scared that something could go wrong. On the other hand, it would be so great to one day be able to see again.

Anyone care to share their Lasik-type experiences, or those of people they know?

Thanks!

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Lasik/laser eye surgery -- share horror or success stories

Best decision that I ever made. I had Lasik done 6 years ago and I'm so happy to have left the glasses and contacts behind. Like you, I could no longer wear contacts and that is what pushed me over the brink.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Dh had the same concerns and it took a few years for him to not only build up the courage, but get frustrated enough with his glassess (DS was going to break them eventualy - it was a given :)) to finally look into it. He is almost a year out from his surgery and he will tell you it is one of the best things that he has ever done and worth every penny (our insurance did pay about half of it).

I have heard that complications tend to be minor (like infection, dry eye) and rare. DH's biggest problem for a couple months afterward was dry eye, which was easily resolved with eye drops and now he rarely uses them. I would recommend going to someone reputable and with a lot of surgeries performed. Get somewone who is willing to turn you away if you don't qualify for LASIK. And stay away from the super-cheap deals...you get what you pay for and it's your eyes, KWIM?

Good luck!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Have you had a consultation? My DH did that earlier this year, and due to the type of correction he needed, they said he'd still probably need reading glasses in a few years (or sooner), and possibly full-time glasses farther down the road.

He decided not to do it since reading glasses are not at all practical in his line of work.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I went in for Lasik and the day of the surgery, the surgeon decided not to do the surgery due to my high prescription and sloping of my eye. Best decision anyone ever made for me because if he had gone ahead, I would probably have needed a cornea transplant. The surgeon was Dr. Whitten at TLC in Rockville, MD (who performed Lasik on Tiger Woods). He referred me to Dr. Roy Rubenfeld who after months of weekly visits, decided I could have PRK surgery. I was warned that I might be disappointed with the results based on the possible side effects and the likelihood of needing a repeat surgery. My vision was -11 and -10.75. NOTHING was promised.

Well, a year and a half later, I have 20/20 vision and I didn't need a repeat surgery and I had zero side effects. No dry eye, no blurring, no halos, etc. (PRK is a ridicously painful recovery but once I got past the recovery time, I haven't had a single problem.)

Moral of the story, choose a really reputable surgeon and go for it! I would highly recommend TLC. The cost at TLC is based on the area you live in and in the D.C. surburbs, I think it runs about $5K. Yep, expensive but you've only got one set of eyes! Best thing I have ever done for myself and literally changed my life!

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH had Lasik done back in 2000 and he's very pleased. He did have dry eye, but used eye drops throughout the day for a while and it got better. He still uses drops every morning, but it may just be out of habit. He recently said that he may need to go back in for a touch-up, that over time your eyes continue to change and that it's normal to have to get it done again. His doctor has a lifetime guarantee, so any additional corrections that he needs are free.

DH did lots of research before choosing his doctor. I echo the PP's comments that you get what you pay for.

A friend of mine got Lasik paying the low end of the range. She's happy with the results, but I'd personally be reluctant to go to one of those places that needs to advertise eye surgery sales in order to drum up business.
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had it done 9 years ago. I had absolutely no problems. Mine was done by TLC in Winston Salem NC. Definitely research your options. Mine was done at a time when insurance didn't cover it and I consider it the best 5K I have ever spent! I am now having slight decrease in my vision (from 20/20 to probably 20/35) but coming from 20/750 I am happy!! :) I don't know if that is from the age of the procedure, my age or having 2 pregnancies (which I think can sometimes affect your vision). Good luck with your decision.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just got Lasik 2 months ago - it is awesome! I went to a doctor I heard about on the Chicago BBB and he was excellent. His redo rate is very low and I think this is because he weeds a lot of candidates out. He wasn't sure about doing the surgery on my eyes at first and I went through the evaluations for 2 months (without contacts). This made me feel much better about him since there are probably other doctors who would have just scheduled surgery right away. I was seeing 20/25 the next morning!

My advice, just find a doctor you like, no matter the cost. I didn't even inquire about the prices until way into the process. I just didn't want to be swayed by the costs from one doctor to the next.

Keep in mind, your goal should be to be less dependent on contacts/glasses since 20/20 vision is not a guarantee. Just make sure your expectations are set right. Good luck with your decision :)

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Lana-

What a great story - so happy the PRK worked out for you.

What's PRK? Is that where they insert a lens under your cornea? NEVER MIND; I GOOGLED IT. THANKS!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast