Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Lasik/laser eye surgery -- share horror or success stories

remind me to discuss this with you tomorrow-I'm planning on doing it. My bro. just had it done by someone at Wilmer (greenspring station) and is very happy.
    Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had it done about7 years ago and it's the best money I ever spent, it was $4000 in Colorado Springs, I also recommend paying for a reputable surgeon. I'm not sure if I have 20/20 now as sometimes I have to look twice but I know it's a billion times better than it was and I'm really happy. The doc did say I might need reading glasses when I'm around 40, I'm 38 now and am still fine to read.

DH had it done in the military. They were churning them out and didn't seem to do as many tests as I had done. He still wears glasses and says it worked for him for a year and then it's the same as before. He could get it done again but he doesn't really want to.

Lasik can work wonders, but there are also very serious side effects that while rare, are a possibility you should consider.

I had an airline pilot friend who had Lasik, and had persistent nighttime halos after the procedure. He was unable to get medical clearance to fly again, and could not return to his career. It was devastating.

In one of my union magazines, there was a horrifying story of a pilot whose doctor made an egregious error, and she lost sight in one eye completely.

I know of a few other horror stories as well. Not to scare you off, but the Lasik "mills" tend to gloss over the possible side effects in their marketing.

-Ry,
    mom to Max the one year old
    and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had it 9 years ago. Love it. Only wish I'd been able to do it sooner! Before I did it, I talked to a friend about it. She'd had the *really* old version, RK, a non-laser procedure. Even with the heling/scarrig problems that entailed, she swore she'd do it again "in a heartbeat".

DH had his eyes done a few months ago. The advances since my procdure are amazing! He had none of the healing issues I'd had. Just don't go bargain-hunting. Start talking to everyone you can, looking for recommendations in your area. Talk to ophalmologists (plural), especially. The newest procedures don't require any blades, it is all laser (computer controlled.

ETA: Tagging on the previous post -- yes, I have some haloing at night time. Not bad, but definitely there. DH has not had any. The doc who did his told him if he used hs drops as directed, he probably wouldn't get them. As compared to when I had mine done, and it was pretty much accepted that everyone would have some degree of this. Definitely push your possible doc about this point and anything else you are nervous about.

Perfect timing. I've been thinking about this lately. Thanks for starting the thread Kristine.

It's been interesting to read the replies. Dh had it done years ago and loved it. Still happy. But I don't know, I kinda like wearing my glasses sometimes. They make me look nerdy and nerds are hot. :)

Funny. I actually don't mind wearing my glasses on a day-to-day basis, but they're such a pain at the beach, at the gym in the shower, etc. I can't even get up to pee in the middle of the night w/o wearing glasses because I am that blind. I should carry a spare set with me, but I don't. If I was out with my kids and something happened to my glasses, I'd be totally stranded. So for those reasons, I'd love the freedom of just being able to see.

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm almost 1 year out from Lasek surgery, and would definitely do it again.

Lasek is laser assisted subepithelial keratectomy, which is slightly different from Lasik - the correction is on the surface only, and no flap is created. In 2005, the Air Force recommended that pilots have only non-flapped refractive surgery, because the flap can (rarely) become unstable at high altitude. And you never know, I may still have a career as a fighter pilot. I want to keep my options open. ;)

More to the point, my eye doctor, whom I trust implicitly, believes that Lasek has a lower complication rate than Lasik.

Find a surgeon you trust, regardless of price. You can be the queen of frugal when it comes to groceries or clothing - but don't bargain hunt for eye surgery. In my area (Raleigh) you get what you pay for. I know the doctor who advertises "$999 per eye!" and I wouldn't want him working on me or my loved ones.

Immediately after Lasek, I had extreme light sensitivity and pain. Came home, took the painkillers, and slept the rest of the day. The next day, I went to an outdoor BBQ - with my giant movie-star sunglasses on, and plenty of Percocet. Within 3 days I could drive in the daytime. After a week, I could drive at night - but still saw halos around lights. It took me about a month to get to 20/20, but my doctor said I was an exceptionally slow healer; most patients can see 20/20 within 3-5 days.

I'd still do it again, no question. Maybe once or twice a month, I'll wake up with dry eyes and need to use drops. That's honestly the only time I even remember that I had surgery. The rest of the time, I feel like I was born with naturally perfect vision. :)
    Cindy, Mommy to DS 2/04 and DS 2/08

pittsburghgirl Guest

I haven't had it done but I totally agree with those who say to find the best doctor possible.

So far, I am not able to have it done. My correction is too severe -- I would still have to have glasses, although not the ridiculously strong/expensive lenses I need now. The one doctor I spoke (generally) to about it didn't think I would ever be a candidate to get to 20/20. However, things keep changing, maybe at some point I would be and I would consider it.

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

NAK but BEST decision I ever made. I had it done 18 months ago, after wavering for a few years. I'd worn glasses since I was 2 years old and have perfect vision now.

Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

Default OMG funny to see this post

first off i just want to say that evryone I knew that had lasik surgery did fantastic. I on the other hand had to have a procedure called PRK I have been off these board MIA due to this surgery I had a few weeks ago, it was HORRIBLE if anyone mentions PRK to you run, run as fast as you can. thats all i'll say about that.

Heidi
    Mama to DD 10/05

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast