Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I feel so helpless....

DD got a nasty stomach bug starting on Sunday afternoon. Last night, I ended up taking her to the ER (DH was flying, so I had a friend come with to help me with DS). Well, I'm so glad I took her in because she ended up having to be admitted for being dehydrated! DH arrived around 11:30 pm and stayed with her last night- I came home with DS and to take care of our dogs.
    Well, the ped. just came by to talk with DH and she said she does not want DS to be on the pediatric floor at all- she doesn't want him to catch anything, which I understand. But that means I can't go either, since we are nursing and I don't have anything pumped (and honestly don't have a clue if he would even take it). The only idea I have right now is to have a friend come with me who can sit with him in the lobby for an hour or 2 while I visit with DD? The pediatrician wants to keep her there likely through Thursday to make sure that she is eating and drinking again (right now she is just on IV fluids, no oral food or drink). I'm going nuts thinking that I will be home for the next 2 days without seeing DD! I do not want to have to give DS any formula and I don't think I can get much if I just start pumping right now- DS still nurses so often that I don't even have much time to be able to try and pump. Holy cr@p, I don't even know where all the parts to my pump even ARE.

M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: I feel so helpless....

(((HUGS)))

BTDT with dehydration in the hospital for DS1 at that age. Luckily for us it was only overnight. It was amazing how quickly he returned to eating and drinking once he was hydrated again. If she is eating and drinking today or tomorrow I would push for her to be released.

I would find a friend to go with you and stay with DS downstairs. Nurse him and then go up and have the friend call when he needs to eat. Obviously you can't do this all day long, but for a few hours would be good. Nursing DS is the best thing you can do right now to prevent him from getting this bug, so that is doing something even if you aren't with DD.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

(((Hugs))) How scary! I can only imagine how difficult that must be for you. I would definitely see if I could get a friend to go with you. Also, I would try pumping if you can. I got MUCH more milk in the early weeks than I did later. While not all kids will take a bottle, most will. Since you've already established a good nursing relationship, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

(((Hugs)))

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Good luck I hope you can find a friend to help you at the hospital !!!

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Big hugs, Margaret! How scary! I don't have any advice, but I have kiddos about the same ages as your two, so I can definately feel your pain here, as well as your deliema. I hope your daughter's feeling better soon!

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
    And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

Big Hugs Margaret!! I hope DD feels better real soon. I can't imagine what you're going through right now. I'd pump and see what you get, at least that'll buy you some time with DD. You and DD will be in my thoughts.

big big big hugs.....
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Pump what you can and do the best you can. If you can find someone to sit with DS at the hospital, that is great.

And, it is not the end of the world to give a child a little formula. I am a huge breastfeeding proponent, but I had to supplement number 1 with formula for the first 6 weeks (long story) and in retrospect, I let it bother me more than it should have.

Motherhood requires prioritizing what are the really important things in life and finding compromises. Breastfeeding is important but so is being with your daughter. The "right" balance between those interests is entirely up to you. There is no "wrong" answer.

Good luck and please let us know how everything turns out.

IMO pump or give a bit of formula. A bottle is an insurance policy that your child can be nurished with or without you. I nursed both kids, but bottle trained too. This came in handy due to a family/personal emergency that called for me to be gone for about 6 hours 2X during 1 week (which is what you have now, your DD will need you there for a bit). As a daughter, friend, wife, parent... you may need to be away from your baby for a bit (in safe hands of course) and you want to know they can get what they need in your absence. For me it was unrealistic to think I could feed 24/7/365 during an emergency, I was thankful they could eat from a bottle when needed.

denna is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No experience here Margaret. Just wanted to offer some ((hugs)) and sending ((get well soon)) vibes to your DD. I hope you are able to see her soon and see can come home.
    Denna

Mama to THREE adorable kiddos

Mommy's KINDERGARTENER DS1 born Apr/2006 happily harnessed in his Frontier
    Mommy's belly baby DD born Jul/2009 content in her Boulevard
    Mommy's little hedgehog DS2 born May/2011; riding unhappily in his Chaperone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast