Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default RE: OMG funny to see this post

Heidi! I too had PRK. Hold on, in a few weeks you will most likely feel completely different about the surgery. The recovery was the most painful thing I have ever gone through (about a million times worse than labor!) but after a week of pain, it went away. And, then, after a few weeks, I could see. I think it took a few months to get to 20/20 but I had a really high prescription. After the first couple of weeks, my vision got better and better each day. I hope the same happens for you!

I was fortunate that my doctor told me that PRK recovery was going to suck big time. For me, it was the only option (I couldn't wear contacts anymore and my glasses were giving me terrible headaches and I wasn't a candidate for any other corrective surgery.) And, despite the pain and the long recovery, I would do it again in a heartbeat!

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Lasik/laser eye surgery -- share horror or success stories

So far, I haven't gotten up the nerve to have it done. I'm not really afraid of side effects, I'm afraid of the procedure itself. If I could be heavily sedated, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but the whole being awake while they pry your eye open, etc, I'm sure I'd pass out immediately.

Anyway, my cousin, who was so terribly nearsighted, (also had severe astigmatism) that he took a shower in the dark because he couldn't tell if the lights were on or off without his glasses on, had LASIK about 3 years ago. He is a physician, so if something went wrong, he'd be unable to work. He is now 20/15! It's truly unbelievable for someone whose vision was so bad. He did say that because his vision was so bad, it took him a while to recover and for his eyes to adjust- he couldn't see patients for 2 weeks or so. He had no pain, just had a hard time focusing and getting used to his new vision.

I really wish I could suck it up and just have it done! I would so love to be able to go to the bathroom at night without having to struggle to find my glasses!

Val
    DD 2.5 years old
    another summer baby coming in 2007!

Lauraford Guest

OK, I think I'm the only person who feels "meh" about my lasik surgery. I don't have any horror stories but I don't think it's the best thing I've ever done either.

I had it done in Sept. and I appreciate the fact that I don't have to monkey with contacts/glasses/sunglasses/solution anymore and I appreciate being able to see the clock when I wake up at night, but otherwise it was just an OK experience.

I went to TLC and felt like a number, not a person (especially on surgery day where they herded us in and it felt more like a processing plant) I wasn't prepared for that.

I don't like that I spent so much money and they overcorrected one eye so I am now farsighted in one eye and will need reading glasses much sooner. In fact, when I get too tired my left eye "drops" out of focus and I have a hard time seeing unless I close that eye.

They warn you of all the possible effects, so I can't say I was blindsided (pun intended). But my night vision is way diminished. I will say they halos have disappeared and recovery wasn't horrible.

Overall, it was fine. Maybe I heard too many "it changed my life" stories or maybe I've forgotten too easily how much having glasses/contacts was a pain...like how quickly we forget labor and morning sickness! I wouldn't steer anyone away from it, just be realistic about your expectations and be prepared for the "burning eye smell!"

Good luck!

I couldn't wear contacts anymore either, and my astigmitism was really bad. Wasn't that recovery painful, WOW like killing me LOL.... I ended up with sever kerititis in my right eye which is still healing. My vision has gotten much better I can tell. I'm sure it takes time to get 20/20.
    Again I just have to say that was one of the most if not the most painful thing i've ever done.
    I'm glad you can see well now, i'm hoping for the same with me.

Heidi
    Mama to DD 10/05

I hope your eyes get better soon! That stinks that you ended up with keratitis too! As if PRK recovery isn't enough without adding more pain- ugh!

I took Tylenol with codeine, Motrin, and the pain-killer drops in the eye and I still thought I would die from the pain! In fact, I called my doctor and went into his office on a Sunday because I didn't think I was going to live! The doctor said that PRK is so painful that there is really nothing they can give you to ease the pain. (Maybe something illegal would have helped?!) The only way I could describe it is "rolling pain." Whew! Glad we got through that!

I'm sorry, did I just read the phrase "burning eye smell"? YIKES!

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev197prs__.png

Lauraford Guest

You know that burnt hair smell from a hairdryer? During the surgery, you smell it again and realize it's your eye! Sorry if that's TMI but nobody warned me and I was pretty grossed out.

>Funny. I actually don't mind wearing my glasses on a
    >day-to-day basis, but they're such a pain at the beach, at the
    >gym in the shower, etc. I can't even get up to pee in the
    >middle of the night w/o wearing glasses because I am that
    >blind. I should carry a spare set with me, but I don't. If I
    >was out with my kids and something happened to my glasses, I'd
    >be totally stranded. So for those reasons, I'd love the
    >freedom of just being able to see.
    >

Ah. Well girlie, that just plain sucks. I'm sorry you've got to deal with that. I am only slightly as blind as a bat. Without my glasses I couldn't make out your features but I'd know you were there and your gender,lol.

A friend of mine (we run together sometimes) also had it done, maybe three years ago I think. He says it was cool. The only weird thing is that red lights are blurry. But only LED lights, like alarm clocks. A red street light is fine. Strange.

Good luck to ya on whatever you decide. :)

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had it done in Feb/2000 and have never regretted it. I had dry eye for about a week and went through a whole ounce of drops, but then it got much better. Then, I went to a very smokey bar to see a friend of mine perform and came out of there with a sand-in-my-eyes feeling. Back to drops for another 2 weeks. No problems since. I have never looked back. My surgeon was Dr. Kremer or Kremer Laser Eye Centers.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3