Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default UPDATED! Where to get free shoes, etc for needy family?

Woohoo!! Thanks to Marisa, I contacted SolesforSouls this weekend and I've already heard back from them. They are going to donate shoes for the whole family! Isn't that incrediable?! It's a great organization, their current big project is to send a million shoes to the Sudan to help all of those shoeless people. I couldn't believe that I contacted them this weekend and heard from them by 8:30 this morning. Amazing!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Kelli

Hi. My mom teaches kindergarten in a very very poor country school district in Oklahoma. She's always got really sad stories about how the kids don't have clothes that fit, they aren't clean, etc. I think it's pretty overwhelming to see kids like that regularly since there is not much that can be done to help them. However, there is one child who is particularly bad off. They've had to send him home repeatedly and say he couldn't come back unless he bathed. Well, a few days ago it was particulary bad and the principal called the mom and told her she had to come pick up her kids. There are 5. My mom tried to help him get cleaned up a little in the bathroom before she got there. She had him take off his boot and they are so small on his feet his little toes were curled up at the end. Then the smell was so strong that my mom could feel her stomach rolling and she had to leave the room so she wouldn't throw up infront of him. They got someone to donate a pair of tennis shoes to him, but they were way too big and had a hole in the bottom. Neverless, he kept telling my mom "thank you" all day and how his feet had never felt so good.

So all this brings me to my point: Is there some place, like a charitable organization, where needy families can get things for free? My mom called some local churches with no luck. I think the parents are completely neglectful and wouldn't try to get them shoes and clothes, but I'd like to see if there is anything we could do. I live in a bigger town than my parents, so we have some organizations.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!

Default RE: Where to get free shoes, etc for needy family?

Check out this one. I recently heard of them, and was planning on donating shoes that no longer fit me:

http://www.soles4souls.org/

I know this link is about San Fransisco, but I bet if you called them, they could point you in the right direction.

http://www.examiner.com/a-639145~Cha...e_clothes.html

Doesn't the Salvation Army offer clothing to families for free?

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Thank you so much. I just checked out the website and they only talk about donating shoes and money, not how to receive a pair of shoes; so I emailed them.

I thought that too about the Salvation Army. I called them, but they are closed today, so I'm going to try again Monday.

Thanks again!

I know Olly Shoe Stores in this area collects shoes for kids. Here's info on their webpage: http://www.ollyshoes.com/donation.htm
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oh that is so sad. What about contacting local churches. Also, maybe freecycle?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Payless does some work with non profit organizations. I would definitely try them out if you have one near you.

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If things are this bad, shouldn't child protective services be called? I am wondering what their home environment is like. Just a thought.

I think if you want to help this particular boy and his siblings, then just buy him some shoes and clothes that fit, either used or new. Assuming it is something you can afford to do.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

Pam -

Child protective services has been called repeatedly. It doesn't seem to help. I think they ask questions like, do you have baths, and they answer is yes, in the morning and at night. Which is obviously not true. They've changed school districts because of the calls to dhs and then they start getting calls from the new place. It's horrible. I'm planning to call dhs Monday, but I'm sure I'll get the same response. I'm sure the home environment is horrible. I think the child is often hungry too.

I actually don't have enough money to buy clothes and shoes for the child and his 4 siblings. I'm trying to be a sahm mom, so adding 5 kids to the budget would be pretty hard! Plus, my mom says that they actually don't wash their clothes, they eventually just throw them away. (Apparently several people have told her this). So I thought it would be nice to just get them a few things that weren't necessarily in the best condition, but would be better than what they currently have. A few years ago, when I did work, I got my office to play Santa to the kids in my mom's class at that time and the child's older sister was in that class. She asked for clothes for Christmas. The girl at my office, who drew her name, was so sweet that she bought her an outfit AND a few toys. But we did think that if we can't find out about any organizations that help in situations like this, that we'd just buy him a pair of shoes. We just obviously aren't going to be able to support him forever and if we found out about something now, we'd have information that could go forward with his future teachers.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Try any sort of organization that does stuff for kids. Key words to google for would be like "Blank City Family Services" and "Blank City Children's Charity" and "Blank City Family Support Agency". Organizations like the Kiawanis, the Eagles and various other fraternal organizations or veteran's groups often have a child specific focus in their service projects. Common programs include back to school stuff, clothing and shoes.

Also, if your child's school wanted to start a shoe voucher program, Payless Corporate, will give 10-15% off the actual cost. I distribute shoe vouchers via work here in Seattle and that is how we do it- Payless bills us and takes a discount off the top. I understand that they do this for many charities around the country.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wonder if there is a way to get washing done for them. Like, rotate clothes and take them home to wash? Logistically maybe challenging, but it's a thought.

Of course it's not your role to step in and provide everything the child needs, but any help you and your mom and your network of friends can provide, in any form, is a blessing to the children.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast