ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Are kid travel id's required soon? Anyone have info on Kidz-Idz?

Are they a legit organization? I can't find any info about it the id requirement, but the Kidz-Idz rep lady said that all kids will need valid id's for air travel soon. I can just make them myself but dd's pic wouldn't already be in the "system" if, god forbid, we needed it for amber alerts and such. I could get an id from Illinois drivers facility for $20 (valid for 5yrs), but couldn't update the pics and info for free like you can w/ kidz-idz. The state is $10 for corrections and $20 for duplicates. Kidz gives 3 for the same price and unlimited updates (+sh/handling charge) . I already paid for it, but never mailed anything in. I emailed them to find out about refunds. I'm concerned that dd's info will be at some "company" w/ who knows what kind of people etc. www.kidzidz.com
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Are kid travel id's required soon? Anyone have info on Kidz-Idz?

I've never heard of that but I think I'd pass. It really sounds like they are preying on a parent's fear. If a child really does need a travel id, I'd get a regular passport or a state id. You could always tuck an updated photo in with the passport or carry one with you in case of an emergency.

And now that I've looked at their website, it doesn't say anything about being an ID for traveling. Currently, you only need a birth certificate for a young child to travel. And I have to wonder if it would even count as a valid ID if not issued through some sort of government if the time comes that a child needs an ID to board a plane.

Also along the Amber Alert line, is the picture really in any sort of "system" or just in a database on their website?

Yeah, I'd pass but I'm a cynic.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Yes, i couldn't find the id requirement on their site too. I agreed then and paid for it, but now i too wonder if it would even be valid not being from a govt agency and needing no proof of identity to get it.

I'll call them today and hopefully i can cancel.

amber alert - they made it sound like it was uploadable to the amber system immediately but now i wonder.

i saw them at kohl children's museum so thought it was reputable, but this week i saw them in front of Jamba Juice and got leery

ohmommymommy Guest

From the website privacy policy:

Kidz-IDz maintains all data on a child, including the digital photograph, for a period of no longer than thirty (30) days. At the conclusion of this 30 day period, all information pertaining to the child is destroyed.

What good would it be for Amber Alerts if it is destroyed in 30 days?

Children under 16 to travel domestically do not need a photo id.

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/air...ant/index.shtm

(children are not required to show identification)

You need a passport to travel internationally and kidzidz will not cut it.

If you cannot get your money back, consider it a learning lesson. While the intentions are good, the sales rep is just looking to make money for the company by playing on parents fears, IMHO.

Thanks,
    I called the local rep that sold it to me and they're refunding my $. Lesson learned anyway.

As for the photo, good info. I think maybe then they were referring to the fact that they give you an electronic copy of the card so you can give it to the authorities. But again, i can do that myself.

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just to keep it simple, I got DS an ID card (like Driver's License, but not a license to drive) from DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles). The photo is not current, but he has not changed terribly much. I also have a wallet size photo album with his yearly photos. I don't remember how much it costs (which may vary state to state anyway).

Because DS travel internationally, he also has a passport, but I don't want to be carrying that for domestic travel.

Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03