Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Where to get free shoes, etc for needy family?

That is a good thought. I, unfortunately, live about 2 hours away. However, I think that people have tried repeatedly to help the family and they won't take the help. I think they have a washer and a dryer, they just don't do anything about getting clean. Apparently, the extended family lives in the same community and they all smell bad, don't bathe, etc., so I guess it's all they've known for generations. It's just so sad for the kids.

I am going to ask my mom if she could ask about washing the clothes. I'm sure it would be really awkward, but it's also pretty awkward sending the kids home because of the smell. I'll let you know what happens. (I'm sure my mom would happily wash their clothes).

jpzec Guest

http://www.cisnet.org/default.asp

Does the community happen to have a "Communities In Schools" program? I am involved in ours, which is relatively new for our community (in NC) but the organization has been in existence for a number of years on a national basis.

Unfortunately, I have heard teachers here describe the same types of things your mother has seen. It is so sad.

Anyway, CIS may have some resources.

Jamie, mom of 3 in NC

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's weird that the kids would smell so much. I know a guy in college who had bad body odor, and I think it was multiple things, the whole bathing-antiperspirant-laundry thing. The guy relied on his girlfriend do do his laundry for him and otherwise didn't bother - DOH!! I think he just wasn't taught hygeine and laundry. (I'm teaching Alek how do do laundry NOW, at 2.5!! LOL).

But I didn't think kids get that stinky. We only bathe our little guys a couple times a week.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Good luck in your efforts! I hope it works out to just keep a spare set of clothes on-hand and then rotate between the laundered and not-so-fresh clothing every few days.

Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2