Thread: Travel Question

Default Travel Question

With all the tightened security measures, I'm not sure what I can and cannot bring in my carry-on. The TSA site is confusing. Can I or can I not bring along baby food (jarred or breastmilk, for example). One section sounds as though I cannot, and another sounds as if it's okay, as long as the baby/toddler is traveling with me. Or is it okay as long as it is less than 3 ounces?

And on another note... would "floam" be considered a gel? Someone suggested bringing this to keep the kids occupied, but if it's more than 3 ounces (which it probably is), would it be confiscated?

Anyone have experience with this?

TIA!

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Travel Question

We were overseas a few weeks ago and I think it depends on where you're going etc. Here is what I found (and it may have changed):
    US airports have things pretty much streamlined and seem to be handling things really well. As long as its 3oz and fits in the clear ziplock bag, its OK (so small jars of baby food are OK, as long as you don't have too many of them). I would hold off on the floam, maybe take some toys or something else to keep the kiddies busy.
    On our way back into the US, however, I found that they were much more anal, so, for example, they made me throw away my lip gloss (even though it was a teeny tiny tube)
    Maybe someone else has some more updated suggestions?
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: Travel Question

Argh my reply got eaten by the server.

So the issue is that airports seem to be random in what they do. That said in roughly 8 flights in the last year with DS here is what I have found.
    - Baby food/milk/bm seems fine (no 3 oz limit) *SOME* airports may ask you to open it and taste it (this seems MUCH more likely internationally and not at all common domestically)
    - Floam would likely be taken

Good luck!
    /hillary