momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Car Negotiating Advice

I've read all the threats (big thanks to Laura who posted links to a whole bunch in one particular thread) and am in the middle of it now but need some advice.

I'm waiting on the e-mail responses now. Got two quotes already and they are basically at the invoice cost, but am still waiting for 3 more.

To simplify things, I just made a connection that can help me. I happen to know the wife of the president of a car-dealership corporation through work. She told me to get in touch with the general manager of this particular dealership and tell him that she referred me to him. Obviously, once I go and meet w/ him, he needs to make sure I walk out w/ a car since it would look so bad for him. So how low can I go w/o being insulting? We are also most likely going to lease so what else is negotiable?

Oh, we are looking to get an Odyssey, btw.
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

Default RE: Car Negotiating Advice

Great contact! Basically, you can get under invoice (usually even without a connection). Also, make sure to look into all incentives (even cash to dealer) so you can see if they are getting money back for selling you the car. Don't pay any dealer fees like a processing or administration fee. Also, don't let them add features such as the undercoating. You really want to walk out of there paying your negotiated price (a little under invoice) and the tax, title, and license.

Hope that helps and others have great advice!