Default Dental x-rays and kids

How often do your children get x-rays taken when they go to the dentist just for check ups? The pediatric dentist I take DD to recommends one per year unless there is a problem that needs more monitoring. It just seemed like a lot of x-rays to me and weirded me out since I don't even remember getting dental x-rays as a child until I was much older.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Dental x-rays and kids

When I was working as a hygienist most of the dentists recommended them every 12-18 months depending on the child ( and thats what i did with my own boys). Some children had much more decay and would end up with cavities almost every visit others had none. Yearly was pretty much the norm for 2 bitewing xrays.

You may not have had them as often when you were a child. I know I didnt I went to a older dentist that had the view of ... if it decays pull it. Now dentists are more proactive with childrens teeth.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My family detist doesn't do them for kids as little as ds. I asked last summer when he was newly 4. I can't remember what his answer was, maybe when their permanent teeth come in?

Beth

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DS has been to the dentist three times (chipped tooth at 15 months, 2 year visit, 3 year visit) and no x-rays yet. However, DS's teeth are spaced far apart unlike mine which are all crammed right up next to each other. Hopefully DS gets DH's adult teeth and not mine.

If you aren't comfortable getting x-rays each year, ask to do it less frequently unless there is an area they are watching.

My dentist mentioned to me once that dental practice has changed since I was a kid - I had four teeth removed before getting braces to "make room" and now my teeth have too much room and I now have gaps between teeth in the back of my mouth which are hard to floss. My dentist has the same types of gaps for the same reason.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

DD started getting yearly Xrays at age 4. Half of the time, they don't get done because she complains that it hurts.

http://www.dentists4kids.com/dental_...Dental%20Xrays
    "The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends radiographs and examinations every six months for children with a high risk of tooth decay. On average, most pediatric dentists request radiographs approximately once a year."