JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What are you strenghts as a parent

I had to answer that question on a questionaire recently.
    Would the rest of you like to share.

I put I was understanding and knowledgeable ( my 12 yr old said Yea you know all that moms stuff LOL) what I dont know I seek out the answers.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: What are you strenghts as a parent

Patience. I am not easily frazzled when Toby goes nuts or is frustrating. And I am very good about redirecting him and sticking to my word.

Thanks for that! I needed a minute to remind myself that I am a good mother :)
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No question--my sense of humor! :)

shilo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

hmm, well, mine's only just coming up on two, so i don't know that a lot of my skills have really been put to the full test yet. i think what you're getting at is beyond the basic loving and affectionate, so i guess so far i'd say engaged and knowledgable.

engaged because i try not just to sit around and 'wish' i was better at something for him, instead i go out and find a way to do it with him, for him, because of him, etc. knowledgeable because i try to research out as much about that 'mom' stuff as possible and because i waited until a time in my life where i felt like i was a little more comfortable with my own level of life experience (of course that varies, and of course there's never a 'right' time :)) before he came along.

thanks for making me think about it. lori
    Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am patient and easygoing. I am not too serious. I act goofy and encourage the kids to be messy and goofy and really enjoy their play.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am patient and easygoing. I am not too serious. I act goofy and encourage the kids to be messy and goofy and really enjoy their play.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Like Lori, my kid is less than 2, so I don't think I've really been put to the test yet. But I think my strengths are that I am pretty patient, and I don't get emotionally effected when Dora is having a tantrum moment. It's been this way since she was born. Hearing her scream/cry really loudly doesn't seem to affect me, so it's much easier to respond calmly.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Like Lori, my kid is less than 2, so I don't think I've really been put to the test yet. But I think my strengths are that I am pretty patient, and I don't get emotionally effected when Dora is having a tantrum moment. It's been this way since she was born. Hearing her scream/cry really loudly doesn't seem to affect me, so it's much easier to respond calmly.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

First, for those moms who think they haven't been put to the test yet, I think we've all been put to the test since that child was placed in our arms!

I think I am good at balancing my kids' need for physical risk-taking with safety. Of course, I think many people think I go way too far in the risky category, so I don't get many kudos from anyone else for this skill, but I think I'm really good at it. Until the first broken bone, I suppose....
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9