MegND95 Guest

Default How much for graduation gift?

My cousin is graduating from college (Harvard, with Honors!) next month, and I received an announcement in the mail. Since she is ten years younger than me, we've never been super close, although her parents have been good to me over the years. In the past, I've always given $25 for my cousin's grad gifts. My Mom indicated that this was "cheap." But until recently, $25 was within our budget. Now, we could afford a little more. Should I stick the standard, or bump it up a notch?

Since this is the season of graduations and weddings, how do you handle the influx of announcements and invites?

Thanks!

Default RE: How much for graduation gift?

Not sure on the going rate, but we just received 2 graduation announcements from people we aren't particularly close to (child of family friend and DH's cousin) and sent $50 each.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Maybe $25 for a high school but $50 for a college graduation?

I would bump it up...if the family member is someone you are at least somewhat close with. Extraneous 2nd cousins and such would get closer to $20-25.

We never get an influx of these things so that could change my budgeting strategy. :)

Beth

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Maybe $25 for a high school but $50 for a college graduation?

I would bump it up...if the family member is someone you are at least somewhat close with. Extraneous 2nd cousins and such would get closer to $20-25.

We never get an influx of these things so that could change my budgeting strategy. :)

Beth

If you are close to this cousin, I'd do at least $50.00 - probably more.

I just graudated from law school and had several clients who definitely were not family members give me $50.00 gift certificates.

If you are close to this cousin, I'd do at least $50.00 - probably more.

I just graudated from law school and had several clients who definitely were not family members give me $50.00 gift certificates.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A friend of mine just graduated from her Nurse Anesthetist program and I sent her a check for $40. I haven't seen her in 4 years but we stay in touch.

I rarely give $25 but almost never give $50. I end up sending checks in the amount of $30 or $40. Istn' that weird? Probably because I"m afraid that $25 seems cheap and $50 seems slightly excessive (unless it's a close relative that I"m close to).

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A friend of mine just graduated from her Nurse Anesthetist program and I sent her a check for $40. I haven't seen her in 4 years but we stay in touch.

I rarely give $25 but almost never give $50. I end up sending checks in the amount of $30 or $40. Istn' that weird? Probably because I"m afraid that $25 seems cheap and $50 seems slightly excessive (unless it's a close relative that I"m close to).

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Hmm, I just sent 2 to younger cousins with $15 starbucks gift cards in them :) But neither they nor their families had done anythng for mine so I just didn't worry about it :)
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

I usually give either $20-25. That is standard for my family. Is there any gifts from her family that you can compare with?