Default Push-reel lawnmowers

We have a tiny yard and it seems silly to be pouring gas and maintenance into a regular lawnmower. Not to mention the noise and pollution it produces. Our neighbor has an electric mower, but our yard is just big enough that having a long enough extension cord and maneuvering around it would be a deal breaker. Does anyone have any recommendations for a push-reel mower? Things to look for? Good brands? Good deals? TIA!

-Ry,
    mom to Max the one year old
    and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Default RE: Push-reel lawnmowers

Ok, now the posting feature is working for me! Send you a PM, but try www.cleanairgardening.com. The owner built his business on reel mowers and has a helpful FAQ.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

ellies mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We got ours at Home Depot. They run about $100 but I bet you can get one cheaper on Craigslist. They are pretty cool but have to be oiled and the lawn needs to be kept pretty short. DH was all gaga over them and insisted on buying one but I guess he felt the frequent mowing was a deal killer. I don't know. We ended up getting rid of it (donated it to Goodwill so check there too) because if we end up putting in a lawn at our new house, it will be a very low mow, low water lawn so it needs to be kept a little longer.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a reel mower -- we just got it at Ace Hardware down the street when we moved in 5 years ago, I am not sure of the brand, but it was less than $100. We don't bother collecting the clippings - just let them sit. The blades do need to be sharpened professionally every few years and it's harder to find places that do that. It was $30 for the sharpening, which is cheaper than gas, oil and maintenance on other mowers. Ours doesn't need to be oiled.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss